dcsimg

Rotted Sill - replacement material?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Rotted Sill - replacement material?

Postby Lynners on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 am

We discovered a small leak behind the drywall yesterday in our bathroom, and we are certain that it's coming from the window that is in very, very poor shape.

The sill is missing a large chunk in one corner due to rot, and much of the rest of the sill is sponge-y. Is replacing the sill a good option? I have western red cedar on hand - would this be an appropriate replacement material? The bottom portions of the brick mold are also rotten, so cutting them away in order to remove the old sill and put in a new one is possible. We would then rebuild the missing brick mold with epoxy.

Getting at the sill shouldn't be a problem, since the stool was mangled at some point anyway.

Thoughts?

Edit to add: Oops, I meant to post this in the general discussion forum.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Re: Rotted Sill - replacement material?

Postby jade mortimer on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:53 pm

western red cedar will be a good choice as wood spanish cedar or mahogany....

brick mold is typically readily available...if at all possible, perhaps you could replace the whole piece making sure to back prime before installation and caulk between the molding and sill before finish painting.....

....jade
jade mortimer

Postby Lynners on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks Jade.

We got started on this today and whoooooo boy the old sill was so rotten it was almost dirt in places.

Rotten window sill by sciencerules86, on Flickr

We aren't the most cooperative couple in the world when it comes to working together on the house, but so far on this project it's been great - way less difficult than we'd both expected. I'm priming our new 2x8 chunk of cedar tonight and we'll be putting it in tomorrow morning!
Lynners

Postby jade mortimer on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:04 pm

yup, it's going back to dirt!
good luck...hope your cooperative effort continues to go smoothly...
...jade
jade mortimer

Postby Sashguy on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Ouch.... Take a look above the damage, this is too severe to have been caused by normal circumstances. I would bet that something is channeling or splashing water into that area. I also note that the nail perforation on the right side has been passing moisture for quite some time. I once replaced one in similar condition that was caused by the homeowner keeping his trash can next to the window. Runoff was splashing onto the lid and deflecting it toward the window.
Sashguy

Postby Lynners on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:40 pm

The sill has been rotten for quite some time - long before we bought the house. It had been "patched" previously with spray foam and then painted over so that you couldn't tell to look at it (we discovered this as we were ripping it out).

We do have a lightening rod cable that goes from the roof into the ground quite near the window - I have a feeling it's acting like a rain chain. We're going to have to secure it to the house and away from the window.
Lynners

Postby Lynners on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 am

We have our new sill in! Now we are racing against the weather to try and patch up the brick mold. I had to pull out what felt like 100s of staples from Christmas decorations of the past. I also had a hell of a time scraping out the caulk job of an overzealous renter.

Does anyone know how strict the temperature specifications are for things like caulk and paint? We're averaging around 3 degrees Celcius here, and every product I have to fix this darn thing says to use above 5 degrees.

Rotten window sill replaced by sciencerules86, on Flickr
Lynners

Postby jade mortimer on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm

latex/acrylic products contain water and will freeze or cure incorrectly when applied when very cold...temps should be above 40 degrees for at least 48 hours...

i bet that toilet seat is c-o-l-d!!

...jade
jade mortimer

Postby Lynners on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm

You have no idea! :lol:

I guess the exterior wood work will have to wait until spring, then. Chances aren't good that we'll get warm temps for an extended period...

I think, then, the plan will have to be to fix up the sashes. Prime them, put in the new glass (all panes were previously cracked), and put them back in with the storm window for protection. Come spring, we'll do the remaining work.
Lynners

Postby mrhero on Wed May 27, 2015 4:55 am

Thanks Jade.
mrhero

Return to The Hangout Forum