dcsimg

vintage farm photos

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

vintage farm photos

Postby pqtex on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 pm

I stumbled across a website with a treasure trove of photos of farms, all taken between 1936-1939. http://sunflowerplantation.blogspot.com ... -1939.html The collections include photos of outbuildings, houses, as well as interiors. I found it interesting to see the home of a tenant farmer's kitchen!

It's always an interesting surprise to turn up something unexpected during an internet search. I have been looking on the internet for ideas for building sheds or farm buildings that were in character with our 100 year old homestead. I'm the fourth generation to own our original family homestead, built in 1913. There were pecan trees on the original site, and we have been harvesting pecans ever since. Although we have never been commercial growers, I have fond memories of helping my father pick up pecans, bagging them in big burlap bags, then driving them to a nearby town to sell them to a local candy company. We only have a few acres (a bit under 4), but we have over 23 producing pecan trees. Who would think it so hard to find photos or descriptions of sheds designed for drying/curing/storing pecans!

Anyway, I was getting tired of the new spam attack, and thought I'd share my find with you all.

Jill
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Re: vintage farm photos

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 pm

That was a very wonderful and exciting find! May we all be so lucky to have pictures from the past...my oldest goes back to 1966 and it isn't very detailed.

Thank you for sharing! These photos from everyday life are very important to social history than the big fancy professional photos of celebrity life.... power to the common people....:)
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Return to The Hangout Forum