well i tried to save this one :(

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

well i tried to save this one :(

Postby stereorob on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:30 pm

I live in Orlando which is a very progressive city, sadly there isn't much intrest in preserving this cities past and its a damn shame cause ive seen some really amazing homes and buildings smashed to dust to build soulless condos and mcmansions, theres a ton of 1920s era homes here thanks to the florida land boom but stuff from before that is rare to find, stuff that's pre 1900 is just about extinct around here and theres only a handful of big old Victorians left,

every neighborhood has its big old spooky house that most people are afraid of lol, or atleast it used to be that way, theres only a few left though thanks to developers and rising property values, meet a place that's been nicknamed "the riddle house" locally

this 1895 6 bedroom 3900sqft place sits on a hill in the middle of a 1950s era subdivision, its big old scary and falling apart, and the last of its kind around here, its been in a state of neglect for about 20 years and was owned by a family of hoarders for 40 years, really the only thing that's saved this place from being demolished years ago is the fact that its got I-4 (MAJOR conjested highway here in central florida) right in ints back yard and the hoydee toydee mcmansion builders are not interested, its also on a weird street that's hard to get to so its pretty much off the radar, ive been reaserching this house for 2 years and it has quite a bit of history, its address has changed 3 times over the years, back in the 1920s it was used as a TB ward and used as a asylum in the 1940s, its probably haunted lol, and oh to top it all off it was built on a indian buriel ground so that pretty much seals the deal.. reguardless of its past its a beautiful old house that has sadly been condemned and is scheduled for demolition in October, I contacted all the local historic groups and nobody wants to touch it, and ive even tried starting online petitions for it, created a facebook page for it, even a foursquare check in. social media outlets are good sometimes but not always, anyway I myself almost bought the house and could have had it CHEAP (only $32k) but its been eaten alive by termites and isn't stable anymore, you can see the sky threw the roof, and its pretty much had it anyway here are some pics, ive been in contact with the family that owns it and they let me take a bunch of pictures for historic preservation, I visit the house almost weekly cause I wanna be able to enjoy it wile its still standing

*beautiful disaster*

don't know how smoke got in this pic....

windows above every door with 12 foot ceilings

don't know what these are called but there wood carved balls under the staircase, thought it was cool

biggest fuse box ive ever seen

staircase

this area upstairs is collapsing and isn't safe, I almost fell threw the floor when I took these :(

stereorob

Re: well i tried to save this one :(

Postby stepan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:10 pm

At first glance it look like a hunted house... It really looks beautifully creepy.
Find garage door repair in Philadelphia here..
stepan

Postby LauraHO on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am

New to the forum so just seen this. My first thought was 'maybe that's not smoke....' and it reminded me of the house in American Horror Story!
But it's beautiful, I almost didn't want to carry on reading in case you wrote at the end 'and then it was demolished' and that would be so sad. The windows, the details, everything. What a shame it's been left to get like this. I can't believe someone hasn't doen something with it, it's a piece of history.
LauraHO

Postby SallyWilliams on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:08 am

Wow. This house is so beautiful yet creepy at the same time. I hope it was saved. Houses like this are rarely seen nowadays and it would just be great if some, if not all, would be preserved.
SallyWilliams

Return to The Hangout Forum