dcsimg

You know you're an old house owner if ...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

You know your an old house owner if ...

Postby majederr on Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:57 pm

This is one I have read in a post here that I thought was good. "When you plan you're vacation around a salvage yard trip". Another: While in the middle of all your restoration work, you find yourself saving different hardware and whatnot even though it's not to your particular liking or style just because someone else might be in need of it one day. I don't know about anyone else, but when I was younger (early 20's) new was better and oh how I regret all the older fixtures and hardware we replaced and disgarded so that we could have the newer stuff. Now that we are paying a fortune to replace these items, won't be making that mistake again!
"Without Challenges, Everything would just be ordinary."
majederr

Postby majederr on Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:59 pm

Edee wrote:When holidays roll around and you groan to yourself, thinking how much you could get done on those days off, if you didn't have to go visit....

So true. Taking Easter visiting off this year :D
majederr

Postby majederr on Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:12 pm

I am on a roll now!!!
When you sit and think of the projects you could be getting done if you didn't have to pay for college. Or worse, being depressed about the money that will be going out the door for college for 3 daughters one after the other and silently thinking to yourself that maybe they won't go the full 4 to 6 years. Aren't they supposed to be on their own at 18??? Then why are the parents wages attached to their financial eligibility for loans???Seriously being upset over the whole mess while at your accountants office and nothing is ever deductible!!!How terrible is that!!!
majederr

Postby Don M on Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:32 pm

You spend time on the computer helping other old house lovers solve their old house problems and it makes you feel good! Don
Don M

Postby Lisa (ND) on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:23 pm

...when you tell your relatives you'll have them over for dinner so they can see the results of your latest project, but you haven't done this in over a year because as each project ends, another begins.
Lisa (ND)

Postby Guest on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:28 pm

When you groan about going to work and making money because you can't stay home and work on your house and make no money.

Greg

Barb in Hollywood

Postby Barbara in Hollywood on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:58 pm

When an evening out is considered heading to Lowe's so the two of us can pick out kitchen and bath tiles, sinks, cabinets, dishwashers, and stoves for our latest project! Oh so romantic.....

Even sadder? It's my dad's '56 rancher (ugh) but once sold we can go wild on our 20's bungalonial...if I can survive 'the horror'.

Barbara
Barbara in Hollywood

Postby sharonk on Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:18 pm

...when you are at your "day job" and you look down and see you really didn't scrub all that primer/stain/paint off your forearms...

...when you schedule your summer holidays around the timeline of this year's big project...

...when you've bookmarked the local weather forecast on your computer so you can see if you can paint outside after work or this weekend...
sharonk

Postby Mary Alice on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:01 pm

Bridget wrote:You SERIOUSLY consider cancelling your vacation and using the money to buy the silent paint stripper, that vintage clawfoot tub (in PERFECT condition ) at the salvage yard, and about a dozen other things I would buy "if I only had the money"!!

Yeah.....how bout you spend every vacation seeing how many house projects you can get done in those 7 or 9 days, and never even plan to go anywhere for R&R??
Mary Alice

Postby BobG on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:21 pm

... your monthly home improvement budget is larger than your grocery, clothing and entertainment budgets combined...
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum