You know you're an old house owner if ...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Bridget on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:29 pm

Mary Alice,

If it weren't for my husband, we would NEVER go on vacation. I could ALWAYS think of other (more important) things to spend that time & money on, but am usually grateful to him after the vacation is said & done!! Granted I still feel like we COULD have spent the time & money in a better way, but I do enjoy it!!

I HAVE however tried to convince him to take one of Continental's cheap weekend flights to Rochester, NY so that we could check out a salvage yard there....but I guess there would not have been much R&R going on anyway!!

I have another....you know you're an old home owner....

When you get possesive over your house and do not want to let anyone else do work you "know" you could do better!! I would NOT let my brother in law or mother in law help me get the dining room painted. I kept making up excuses "oh I have to do this before I can paint" etc. I also did not want to let them help us finish & hang our pocket doors. Though I suppose that is not exclusive to OLD home owners, but I feel like someone else would "ruin" my house if I let them work on it!?!
Bridget

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:06 am

"When you get possesive over your house and do not want to let anyone else do work you "know" you could do better!! I would NOT let my brother in law or mother in law help me get the dining room painted. I kept making up excuses "oh I have to do this before I can paint" etc. I also did not want to let them help us finish & hang our pocket doors. Though I suppose that is not exclusive to OLD home owners, but I feel like someone else would "ruin" my house if I let them work on it!"

I have problems with this issue too! An example, I had help with rehanging a door I finished. My help banged into/gouged the walls & the woodwork while hanging it, and their mentality is, "what? The door's up...", mission accomplished.

I'd rather do it myself but don't want to discount their good intentions. So, like you, I diplomatically come up with excuses.

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:20 am

"You spend time on the computer helping other old house lovers solve their old house problems and it makes you feel good! Don"

"You're one of our best, Don!"

Postby Jeanne on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:10 pm

You use other people (i.e., non-old-house lovers) to get their opinion, not telling them it's to decide what not to do!

I've used my dad, sister, and brother-in-law in this way (they usually suggest, "Rip it out and get a new one at Lowe's, they're cheap!"), and always walk away thinking, "Yep, that's what I thought. And I'm definitely going to do the opposite."

Jeanne
Jeanne

Postby Jeanne on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:15 pm

Depending on what you're working on, you have tunnel vision when driving through the neighborhoods. Replacing the roof, all I notice is roofs. When getting ready to paint the exterior, I'm only seeing color combinations.

Of course, if more houses had bathroom windows in the front, I might have gotten pulled over by the police last year!

Jeanne
Jeanne

You know your an old home owner when...

Postby Troy on Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:27 pm

When you leave work, you say "Time to go to work."
All your clothes are now "work clothes."
Your whole house is used to store tools.
Your neighbors are weird (what's with this??)
You don't notice the crooked floors, walls and ceilings anymore.
People could track you down by following the sheetrock dust and primer trail.
Your car, despite its size, make or model is used as a truck.
Your wallet is overflowing with hardware receipts.
You spend too much time surfing the web for old house stuff.
The dumpster people know you by name
The dumpster people are on speed dial.
Your tired all the time and can't tell if its from the work or the lead
Beer is the onlything that seems to kill the pain and hide cracks.

And my favorite...If you really calculate all the time you spend working on your old house....you will realize you are making below minimum wage!
Troy

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:45 pm

You know your an old house owner/lover when...

you can be laying on your back in the dirt under the house pulling new romex and take the time to stop and admire the old beams holding everything up.

you can stand in front of an old, run down house that you might have just over paid for with bad wiring, bad plumbing, and failing plaster, look up and say to your self, "Wow! It's all mine. What a beautiful sight."

Greg

Postby SSuzanne on Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:59 pm

You know you're obsessed when you walk or drive down any street and try to look into everyone's house, and actually stop and stare at their moulding and woodwork. You actually curse anyone who has the nerve to have curtains or shutters up and closed.

Also, every trip ANYWHERE is a chance to look at houses.
SSuzanne

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:01 pm

They guy at Menards caulking dept. knows you by first name and the cashier no longer asks for id when you write a check.

Postby Texas_Ranger on Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:00 pm

A classmate of mine caught me measuring her floor boards with my hands... and the last week I spent in someone else's apartment salvaging the floors he wanted to give away as firewood (2x14" oak laid in herringbone pattern), pulling his panel doors out of the dumpster, salvaging a few window sashes a few houses down the street (real old outward opening casements in perfect condition, just need to be painted, will go in my garden house project), sanding 2 of our own floors.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum