dcsimg

You know you're an old house owner if ...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby YinzerMama on Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:48 pm

There's a major road in Pittsburgh known as 28... once upon a time it was East Ohio Street and people lived there. It was a neighborhood. But it was widened and became an expressway and most people over time left. The buildings are still there. Now they are working on 28 and attempting again (I think) to widen it further.

I am probably the only Pittsburgher out there who LIKES to get stuck in traffic on 28 because if you get stuck in just the right spot you can sit and peer inside the buildings. :) They're in horrible shape but you can see some nice light fixtures in them still. I'd love to go back and sneak inside but parking would be... tricky...
Image
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby utopia13 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:05 am

YinzerMama wrote:I am probably the only Pittsburgher out there who LIKES to get stuck in traffic on 28 because if you get stuck in just the right spot you can sit and peer inside the buildings. :) They're in horrible shape but you can see some nice light fixtures in them still. I'd love to go back and sneak inside but parking would be... tricky...


You could always pull off on the side, put the hood up & the 4-ways on....then go for a little walk around back....with a camera of course, because we all want to see the pics! :D
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
Image
utopia13
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:21 pm

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby Abuela on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:48 am

On a related note, you know that you're an old house/building freak when you watch the documentary "Urban Explorers" and find yourself wishing that you were young and reckless enough to really do that. FYI if you have Netflix, watch it online!
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela
 
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Georgetown, DE

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby YinzerMama on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am

Abuela wrote:On a related note, you know that you're an old house/building freak when you watch the documentary "Urban Explorers" and find yourself wishing that you were young and reckless enough to really do that. FYI if you have Netflix, watch it online!


We do have netflix, I will have to check this out!

I would LOVE to sneak in those places but it's really hairy along 28. There's a few places you can pull in a car but it's always so crazy on the road, getting back out would be ... not impossible, but a challenge. This is something I would totally have to do alone - no kids. I do keep contemplating it, though. it's possible I could park up and over the hill and trek down - the thing is there's nothing really to walk to along this stretch so I feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb, some lady walking on 28... it's not like I would look like I was just casually out going somewhere!

I love web sites on urban exploration. I have only ever actually snuck into one abandonded building (a house). I have peaked in windows of others... and looked at LOTS on line.
Image
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby YinzerMama on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:32 am

Ugh!!!!! I found the urban exploration vid on netflix and there is no sound! I hope they fix that.
Image
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby mross_pitt on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 am

because if you get stuck in just the right spot you can sit and peer inside the buildings.


I seem to almost have a full time job sitting on Rt 28.

Peering inside the houses? I haven't even got past looking at some of the trim around the doors and windows on the outside of some of those places, and wondering how I could salvage them even though I have no use for them.

Maybe we should plan a covert operation. You see, if there's 2 cars pulled off to the side it would just look like a minor fender bender has occurred!
mross_pitt
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby YinzerMama on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 pm

mross_pitt wrote:Maybe we should plan a covert operation. You see, if there's 2 cars pulled off to the side it would just look like a minor fender bender has occurred!



LOL awesome. But you know people would get nebby and pull off to help. What we need to do is go together, then pull over - and one of us can start heading for Troy Hill with a gas can, to distract from the other one who is breaking and entering. (Is it breaking if the door is wide open?) Then we can switch roles the next day.
Image
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby BobG on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 pm

YinzerMama wrote:
mross_pitt wrote:Maybe we should plan a covert operation. You see, if there's 2 cars pulled off to the side it would just look like a minor fender bender has occurred!



LOL awesome. But you know people would get nebby and pull off to help. What we need to do is go together, then pull over - and one of us can start heading for Troy Hill with a gas can, to distract from the other one who is breaking and entering. (Is it breaking if the door is wide open?) Then we can switch roles the next day.


Sometimes, when I go back home, I like to drive through Dormont (my great Aunt used to live there) just to look at the houses. And when I visit my sister, my sweetheart and I drive through the streets of her neighborhood (East Washington) again, just to look at the houses!

As a side note, I haven't seen/heard "nebby" in a LOOOONNNNG time!
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
Image
BobG
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:37 am
Location: Shelbyville (Mayberry) , KY

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby lla on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Someone dropped by these forums once who had rails supporting her house. It was in Illinois along some railroad.

MKD


Never noticed this before ... but I do!

My house was built in the 20s, no railroad lines nearby anymore at least. I have rails supporting the enclosed side porch and the back patio. The ones supporting the patio stick out a ways past the patio in places - guess it was too hard to cut!

The rest of the support steel in the basement (which the inspector though was unusual for a house of its age) is a mismash of sizes. Almost looks like some of it was added later.

Lori
Lori
1923 Dutch Colonial
Image
lla
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Allentown, PA

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby DRJR on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:50 pm

lla wrote:
Someone dropped by these forums once who had rails supporting her house. It was in Illinois along some railroad.

MKD


Never noticed this before ... but I do!

My house was built in the 20s, no railroad lines nearby anymore at least. I have rails supporting the enclosed side porch and the back patio. The ones supporting the patio stick out a ways past the patio in places - guess it was too hard to cut!

The rest of the support steel in the basement (which the inspector though was unusual for a house of its age) is a mismash of sizes. Almost looks like some of it was added later.

Lori


Was there a quarry or lumber mill in the area. Those are other sources of old rail. Another source would be an old interurban (trolley) line. :mrgreen:
Little ranch house. With a leaky roof, dead fireplace, and rotting siding.
DRJR
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: North Branford CT

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron