You know you're an old house owner if ...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: You know you're an old house owner if ...

Postby Daniel Meyer on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:24 pm

True story:

Friend is coming to the Old Vic.

Said friend meets us at the surburban blah house and rides with us to the Old Vic

So...

You know you're a NEW house owner when your friend sees it for the first time and says, "Nice house."

You know you're an OLD house owner when your friend sees it for the first time and says, "Holy crap!"

:D
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby Abuela on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:01 pm

actually, I'd rephrase that as:

You know your FRIEND is a NEW house owner when your friend sees it for the first time and says, "Holy CRAP!!"

You know your friend is an OLD house owner when your friend sees it for the first time and says, "WOW! Fantastic!!"
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby lla on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 am

DRJR wrote:
Was there a quarry or lumber mill in the area. Those are other sources of old rail. Another source would be an old interurban (trolley) line. :mrgreen:

Lots of old steel mills. Lots of quarries. Not so sure about lumber mills. And I think I've read about a trolley line but I've no idea where it would have been.

Time for some research!

lori
Lori
1923 Dutch Colonial
lla

Postby Daniel Meyer on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:05 pm

lla wrote:
Time for some research!

lori

Take a good look at the rail too...lots of rail was stamped/embossed with the name or something related to who ordrered it (for what system/trolley/mine/ect), even WAYYY back. Prevented..."misappropriation" by competetors ect.

Usually on the sides near the ends or on the sides near the middle.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby DRJR on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:
lla wrote:
Time for some research!

lori

Take a good look at the rail too...lots of rail was stamped/embossed with the name or something related to who ordrered it (for what system/trolley/mine/ect), even WAYYY back. Prevented..."misappropriation" by competetors ect.

Usually on the sides near the ends or on the sides near the middle.

The side (web) will have the roll date,weigh, and mill. If the rail was rolled for a major railroad, their name will be on too. :D
Little ranch house. With a leaky roof, dead fireplace, and rotting siding.
DRJR

Postby melissakd on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Regrettably, I have found that you know you're an old house owner if you look at your friend's new house and say "Holy crap!"

or possibly, if I am less rude than usual that day, "It's all right if you like that kind of thing." [I'm absolutely terrible with initial reactions.] People are all so happy about their new houses but I feel like the little kid in the Emperor's New Clothes story....

mkd
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby Texas_Ranger on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:30 pm

melissakd wrote:Regrettably, I have found that you know you're an old house owner if you look at your friend's new house and say "Holy crap!"

or possibly, if I am less rude than usual that day, "It's all right if you like that kind of thing." [I'm absolutely terrible with initial reactions.] People are all so happy about their new houses but I feel like the little kid in the Emperor's New Clothes story....

mkd

I usually get very monosyllabic in such a situation and desparately try to find something polite to say... just like when my aunt and uncle lowered the ceiling in their hallway with knotty pine planks, including recessed halogen spotlights with golden trim rings (shudder) and painted the walls just THAT shade of green... and she asked me what I thought about it.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby lisascenic on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Oh man! I dread being asked what I think of most people's home improvements. I'm a decorative painter, so folks are always keen to show me their painting.

I've found the most genuinely polite and kind thing to do is to turn the conversation around and ask them lots of questions about the project. How they did it, how they liked doing it, what they learned, that sort of thing. People love to talk about themselves, and they rarely notice that I failed to give my opnion during all that conversation.
lisascenic

Postby shizzy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:55 pm

you get out of your truck in the pouring rain at 6AM to grab some original looking cabinet doors one of your neigbors left by the trash knowing you have no use for them, but all the houses on the block are the same age so they might be useful to you someday.
shizzy

Postby melissakd on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:59 pm

...part of your house crumbles into dust, and you say "It was a piece of junk and not original to the home so I wasn't too upset"

: ) MelissaKD

Lynners wrote:The grey structure has since collapsed due to some crazy heavy snowfall. It was a piece of junk and not original to the home so I wasn't too upset!
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum