dcsimg

You know you're an old house owner if ...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby richie on Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:57 pm

...when you have more in common with the slaves who built your house than with the people who lived in it.
richie

Postby capecam on Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:23 pm

...when you haven't even put the offer in on your first old home (1880 Victorian) and you already get the jokes in this thread!!

(Offer to go in this week. I'll keep you posted!)
capecam

Postby jeffb on Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:27 am

HB wrote:"Your car, despite its size, make or model is used as a truck. "

You guys should have seen the look on the face of the guy at the sawmill when I bought 2 - 14 foot 6 by 6 oak posts from him and proceeded to load them into the back of the Acura Integra. (Well it IS a hatchback)

You know it, buddy! Must be one of those 88-92 models. You can fit a lot in that car. Plus the roof rack... I don't know the last time I had the back seats upright. It's essentially a two-seater, well, a one seater when I have to haul 12' lumber.

This whole thread has hit a little close to home.

--jeffb ('88 Accord LX-i 3-Door, the no-name Integra) (-:
jeffb

Postby Edie in Hampstead on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:58 am

Hah!

I put 20 some aluminum storm windows w/glass in the back of my 92 Saab (hatchback) and took them to the dump.

I also used to put card board boxes in the hatch of the Saab and loaded them with free mulch from our dump!
Edie in Hampstead

Postby trabucchi on Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:23 pm

Jeanne wrote:When someone mentions considering vinyl replacement windows you jump on your soapbox.

God, I can relate to this. After spending 5 years rebuilding all my old wood windows, I want to kill people who tell me I should have replaced them with plastic.
+------------------------------------------+
+ In with the old, out with the new. +
+------------------------------------------+
trabucchi

Postby Barb in Hollywood on Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:19 pm

Or even worse when you get a phone solicitation for vinyl windows and you read the poor woman the riot act and start spouting stats on just how un-cost efficient vinyl windows are compared to properly restored original windows over a lets say 10 year span when you include just how often you have to replace your new vinyl windows because thay have failed. When she tried to argue with me I actually told her that there was "no way in hell" that I would ever put in vinyl windows after spending 6 years restoring my house ... to that she replied "oh".What really got me she tried to say she was from the gas company....yeah right!

Barbara
Barb in Hollywood

Postby BobG on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:23 pm

You design the restoration of a room around some ancient artifact you found...

Like Greg in another thread, who is planning to design his bathroom around his tub feet, we are planning to design the kitchen unremuddle around the old (5') sink we salvaged. :)
Square, Plumb, or Level ... Pick two.
Our Home: 3,550sf 1891 Queen Anne / Victorian Eclectic
http://www.1160main.com/webdoc7.htm
visit my blog and make a comment
BobG

Postby richie on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:34 pm

...if while working and getting drenched in sweat you're approached by someone offering to buy your house - and find yourself looking for holes in their head because they don't understand it's not about the money.

And only then you realize they're not use to having their money turned down, and they're looking the same way at you.
richie

Postby MaryeAudet on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:57 pm

how about you feel a weird resonsibiluty to the original owners to make the house what it once was?
OR.....You consider framing the advertisement on the back of your old house magazine...the one that says "Thank God youre here, the last owners had no taste" :lol:
Blessings!
Marye
MaryeAudet

Postby Barb in Hollywood on Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:27 pm

Ritchie,

I actually had a real estate agent ring my doorbell and ask if I wanted to sell my house??!! The gall....the nerve... you gotta be kidding! It took everything in my power not to bite the fool's head off. It's bad enough we get a zillion phone solicitations but really.......! I did tell him we've worked way too hard restoring our house to even consider selling and then told him, ever so politely, we'd appreciate it if he never bothered us again. He looked absolutely flabbergasted, giving me a "you don't want to make a ton of money?" sort of look, but that's LA for you.

Properties have appreciated at such an obscene rate in Los Angeles that when most people see a nice old house they think you just want the money for the lot income (zoned R-4 so we could have as many as four apartments on the property if they tore down the house). They never even stop to consider that the owner(s) may love the house itself and making a profit just doesn't fit anywhere into the equation.

Barbara
Barb in Hollywood

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum