Tempered glass is expensive

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Tempered glass is expensive

Postby richie on Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:00 pm

First quote was $30 for a 12x14 inch pane of glass. Later on, I got a $20 price.

4 windows (15 panes each) = 60 panes x $20 = $1,200 (just for glass)

Tempered glass is required around bath tubs. I don't mind the thought that went into it, but emergency rooms would be cheaper than an ounce of prevention in this case.

Costs aren't killing me financially, just having trouble with my eyes (can't see paying $20 for a little glass)

anyone know a good (cheaper) work-around?
richie

Postby Bry on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:56 pm

Yes, tempered glass is extremely expensive. Here in the UK it's required by code from the ground up to about waist high in doors and low windows, and in glazed ceilings. The tempered glass alone added a large and unexpected expense to the cost of my new conservatory. However, it's worth the cost for safety and security.

Sometimes you can use acrylics like perspex and lexan instead. You can also hunt around for the best prices. I did reduce costs somewhat by using a cheaper supplier. Also, buying glass ready cut does cost more per sq. foot, so if you can cut it yourself reliably then you can save some cash. Finally, you can also salvage glass. I see a lot of those sealed glass units and old windows down at the local dump, usually because one pane is broken or the seal is leaking and there's water between the panes. However often one or both panes could be cut out and used again in normal single glazing. The toughened or laminated glass is usually marked as such in the corner.
Bry

Tempered Glass

Postby James on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:25 am

Wow, I had no idea it was that pricey. The four storm doors the PO put on my house have tempered glass. I am going to have to replace them all, he foolishly from a security point made them unlockable from the outside, so no security at all when you aren't home(can lock from the inside, but its a real tinker toy sort of lock even then), plus he used glass inserts that can be replaced with screens so even if the locks were right, to easy to just push out the inserts. The PO had two break ins while he was here and I don't trust the two hundred year old doors for security as a result of that. One of them still bears the scars. Now I know I will simply build new frames and keep the glass. Based on your prices Richie this glass is worth way more than I realized, four full view storm doors, even if the ones for the original front doors are only six feet tall, equals quite a bit spent on the glass.
James

Postby richie on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:43 pm

I tried to cut some existing tempered glass (3 seperate attempts).
All I got was a glass shower as the peices burst

Some say repetative scoring with a glass cutter "might" work... but I only ran the cutter 40 or 50 times... then the glass burst.

I rented a diamond-bladed tile saw, that made scoring go faster, but the 1st attempt burst, and the 2nd broke the glass in a broad arc - unsuitable for installation.

I like the idea of using plastics/acrylics/polimers, it might be "cheap enough to replace if I don't like it". I have no qualms regarding inexpensive material - if I know it can be removed on a whim.

And hey James, save that existing tempered glass - it just might be the "heart-pine" of the future.
richie

Tempered glass

Postby James on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:54 pm

Trust me Richie, after seeing your price quote I am already mentally revamping the planned new storm doors. Had thought to have the built like paneled doors just with glass not wood panels. But since the tempered glass won't cut into smaller pieces according to your luck will just have new frames made and set this into it, permanently. Anybody going to the trouble to break tempered glass would likely find anouther way in anyway. Only so much security you can have I suppose. Based on your prices I figure I have $800 to $1000 in the glass alone. Obviously the PO did not scrimp when it came to those. Pity did not spend the same amount of thought and money on the locks for those doors.
James

Postby Bry on Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:41 pm

Well, I've never tried to cut tempered glass. I didn't think it would be a problem. However, there must be a way to cut it as it comes back in different sizes from the factory?

One other option you might have is laminated glass, I presume that would be code compliant? Personally I didn't use it as the price is about the same here as tempered, but you might be lucky and find it for less.
Bry

Postby Greg on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:13 pm

I think it might be tempered after it is cut. I had to get a lens in my glasses replaced last year. My optometrist had to order the blank and grind it to fit my frames. Then the last step was to temper it. I had him put in an old lens while I was waiting. After he ground it I came in to his office and he tested the new lens for fit. He then popped it back out and told me to come back the next day after it was tempered.
Greg

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:29 pm

Greg is right,the glass is tempered after it is cut. My father-in-law, a glass man for over 40 years,tells me that it cannot be cut.

Rod

Return to The Hangout Forum