Who are we?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Who are we?

Postby mandy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:29 am

Hi, Im Mandy I am 30
Hubby is Michael he is 31
2 kids, Kaylee will be 9 Feb 4th, and Nolen will be 5 May 29th
2 cats, Little Debbie and Spookers
2 birds, Bird and Birdie, although i just found out Birdie is a boy :shock:
1 fish, Maxwell ( House) Hubby named him
We live in Sheffield, Alabama, my home town. I have lived here almost my whole life.
Hubby is a disabled veteran from the USAF
We lived in Japan and South Dakota and then came back to Alabama
This is our first Old House and I am learning alot from all ya'll
I have always loved old houses and most anything old,I am very old fashioned, I love to cook, plant flowers and veggie gardens, and am learning to can and make jelly.
mandy

Postby Byugal on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:39 pm

I am Marilyn, married to Joe, and we are both 62 years old.

We live in s/e Texas in the "boondocks", although near Houston and Galveston. We've been married for 43 years, have a grown daughter, and I am a housewife and wildlife rehabber and my husband is a tow boat captain. He is gone for two weeks at a time, home for a week, and then gone again.

I'm new to the forum and will post about our house on another thread. We are just starting out, so I know I am going to really appreciate your input and expertise as we go along. I am very thankful to have so many people who have walked this road before me, that I can come to for help.

Our house is one we found on a house mover's lot and moving it to our place, which is 50 acres on a bayou. This will be the second house we bought, had moved, and fixed up....saying, "we'll never do that again." ;) It was 100 or more years old. But, we sold it to move farther out in the country. Our "current house" was advertised as an early 1900's farm house. It came off of a big ranch near here and was the ranch foreman's house.

We have lots of pets...2 dogs, 4 horses, 3 chickens, a duck, a feral pig that came from the wildlife center...has been spayed and is tame, lots of cats, and assorted wildlife in various stages of rehab.

I collect lots of old and odd stuff...kitchen-y things are my favorite, but I have too many collections to list. I like to garden and have many antique roses and tropical plants. Cooking is another favorite pasttime.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Byugal

Postby Banner on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Byugal wrote:I am Marilyn, married to Joe, and we are both 62 years old.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Marilyn,

Welcome to both you and Joe. I can speak for everyone here when I say we are looking forward to getting to know you better too. This group loves pictures so if you have photos please post some of your place, it's sounds so interesting. My wife and I love animals. We had 2 pot bellied pigs for over 13 years (Mother and Daughter)Heather and Daisy. We have 2 dogs and 1 cat now and at times have has as many as 9 animals in the house with us. I would love to also see some pics of your herd. Thanks for posting and once again, WELCOME to OHW-Forum.

Dan (Banner)
http://webpages.charter.net/picturegallery/index.html
National Register of Historic Places
Banner

Postby artfox on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Welcome, Byugal and Joe!

It's wonderful to have more Texans on the Forum! I'm a native Houstonian who has you beat in age by a few years. Still, I'm actively restoring a tiny bungalow on a tiny lot inside The Loop. I'm an artist by trade. My terrier mix and I enjoy gardening, too - only she's not terribly selective about digging.

Please stay in touch often. As the owner of more than one old house, you're sure to have a lot of experiences to share. Good luck on your current house-moving!

Carol J
artfox

Postby imustbecrazy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 am

I am Beth and I am 38 and am living in my 4th historic home ... and doubt it will be my last. I work for the local telephone co-op as a customer service rep. My SO is Jimmy and he's 41 and this is his second historic home ... he helped his parents completely renovate their historic home ... now he's helping me! He's an expert on refinishing hardwood floors and stripping paint ... GOD BLESS HIM!

This house was 'finished' when I bought it ... but there is always room for improvement.

In my 'spare' time I am lovingly referred to as a stitch nazi - as I re-create 18th and 19th century reproduction clothing. I also own a 1950 Chevy pick-up that is need of being restored (Jimmy's world once again). So there are plenty of projects to be worked on around here! If you get tired of stripping paint, there's always weeds to be pulled and shrubs to be pruned.

I am glad I found these forums ... ya'll inspire me to keep pushing past the 'finished' to perfection!
imustbecrazy

Postby Minden1906 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 pm

We are Mike and Octa Webb. We've owned our 1906 home for a grand total of 3.5 weeks and are enjoying the challenges very much.
I retired from the USMC in 2001 after 24 years, and my wife has been the General, CEO, CFO, and President of our house for the 30+ years of our marraige.
This is the 2nd home we've ever owned; we decided to downsize after the boys were grown and gone and so found a nice place in the town we go to church in.
I am currently the Administrative Assistnat and IT Manager for a conservation non-profit, and also work P/T as the weekend weather anchor for the local ABC station (helps pay for the housework!)
We have two Manx cats and a rescued Golden Retriever. For fun, we ride our 1980 Honda Goldwing touring bike around Nebraska.

We are so glad we found this site!
Mike
USMC (Ret.)
Minden, NE
1906 home
Minden1906

Postby q. rious on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:58 pm

I can see that I'm going to be hanging out here a lot, so best to get it all out of the way.

I'm Lora. I'm a professional freelance writer, and now, apparently, a house person. You know ... horse people, cat people, house people. I can already see all of my friends' eyes glaze over when I start talking about my current obsession, 1940s houses. I also need to keep my mouth shut when I see friends painting over their switches or getting rid of historic lights, aaaaigh, or I won't have any more friends.

I was born in Texas, but now live in Washington State with my husband and two kids. We are the new owners of a 1940 minimal traditional house encased in vinyl and many layers of lead paint. I'm an equal-opportunity chemicalphobe, so I worry about lead paint AND I worry about MDF-infused furniture. I am trying to reassure myself that the kids are plenty smart and sweet enough already, so I guess a little lead won't hurt 'em. However, I am interested in using "green" technologies and formulations whenever possible.

If anyone else is from the PNW, let me know? I need referrals...
q. rious

Postby Mury on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:54 pm

I've been on here for a little while so I guess I could introduce myself. I'm Marie, 29, in my old house for almost 2 years now. I have a hubby (highschool sweetheart) and two kids, 5 year old boy and 3 year old girl. I stay at home with the kids and teach music lessons.
The house was supposedly built in 1900, haven't done any research yet, but I'm dying to. It is only about 1350 square feet but has a wonderful floor plan and feels much bigger. We're in the city, just feet from the sidewalk and from the neighbor on one side, but we're blessed to have city property on the other 2 sides, all wooded with a walking trail and river. It feels like the country so we've got the best of both worlds. So far I have painted nearly every surface in the house, put a closet in the bathroom, built a fence around the back yard, put in a brick patio and veggie garden, and made some curtains. My current projects are refinishing the piano and finishing part of the basement.
I'm loving this site and stopping in at least twice a day to check up on everything! I've always, always wanted an old house. When I was a kid I would point out all the abandoned beauties as we'd drive by them and told my mom someday I wanted a fixer-upper. She called them blower-uppers, but that went in one ear and out the other!
Marie

1900ish Victorianish
Mury

Postby Eden on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm

"She called them blower-uppers" - I don't agree with her, but Ha Ha, good one mom!
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122
"Be The Change You Want to see in the World," Ghandi
Eden

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:24 am

Hi everyone, I'm Kristin, I've been reading the forums for years, there's just not much time for posting. Single 40 something, 2 dalmatians and 1 cat, and living a strange life. I've been dealing military surplus aircraft parts for years and now I'm trying to restore a building. 6 years ago I was traveling the backroads of Nevada exploring ghosttowns, along the way I found this huge monoltth of concrete and brick in a small almost ghosttown. Walked around it several times that weekend wondering who would leave such a treasure abandoned. 9 months later I was surfing the net and there it was on a tax sale. Thought about it for a few weeks, then caught a flight out to inspect it, what a mess, but what a swimming pool! Placed a bid that I never dreamed would actually win, and won, oh no. So I've spent my last 6 summers in Northern Nevada working my fingers to the bone, when it gets too cold I head back to Texas and hustle military parts so that I can come back and do it again.
Kristin
McGill Clubhouse
dalmatiangirl61

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum