dcsimg

Who are we?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Who are we?

Postby mgb1234 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:19 am

WOW Kristin Really cool building you do have your work cut out for you ,all concrete is way more work then standard wood frame :shock: I have always wanted to find a project like that one 8)
1915 Dormitory
mgb1234

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi mgb1234, concrete work is a pain. Here's what we've been working on for the last week. One of the PO's jackhammered a doorway thru a 13" thick load bearing concrete wall (50 foot of brick wall over it) and installed a double door metal doorframe. Day 1 we cut/pried/jackhammered the door frame and associated patch material out. Day 2 we used a diamond saw to square the edges out so we were not feathering the edges. Day 3 we installed the rebar and started cutting wood for forming. Day 4 we finished the forming. Day 5 we mixed approx 1 yard of concrete and shoveled it into the forms at the 4' high mark. Day 6 (today) another yard of concrete was shoveled 8 foot overhead into a scoop/funnel in the forms. Tomorrow we will hand pack the last 6 inches in completely filling the old doorway. A concrete pump would have made this job so much easier, but the closest rental yard is 150 miles away. And we also had to mix all the concrete because the redi-mix yard is 20 miles away and the delivery fees exceed the cost of concrete. I was shoveling yesterday and today, I'm beat.
Kristin
McGill Clubhouse
dalmatiangirl61

Postby Abuela on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Kristen, either you posted a link to pics here before or someone else did, because I've seen your site and pics of your work (http://mcgillclubhouse.com/photo_album.html) before and I'm truly amazed!
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:49 am

Hi Abuela, I might have posted a link several years ago when I signed up, or the ex-bf might have done it. I've been a regular reader, just rarely posted. This is an extremely small town in Nevada, and the first fe years my only computer access was 20 miles away. My only access these days is my crackberry cell phone, so I can post text here, but not pics. Decided to post a bit more this year as I did not want you guys to think I'd given up. Thanks for the compliment, looks like you've got quite a project too.
Kristin
McGill Clubhouse
dalmatiangirl61

Postby Bama's House on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:58 am

Hi, all. I'm not necessarily new to browsing the posts here, but I am new to posting. :)

We recently made an offer on a property located in Historic Downtown Madison, Indiana, and we learned yesterday that it was accepted. This will be my first new-old house, and I wouldn't have it any other way! I fell in love with the house the moment our Realtor opened the front door for us.

Although I'm not sure the exact year the house was built in, it was somewhere near the turn of the century. I'll work on finding out more about its past and taking more pictures. In the mean time, one tidbit I do know is that it was featured in the movie "Some Came Running" (1958). Bama Dillert, Dean Martin's character, resided in the house. Honestly, apart from new paint, siding, windows, doors, and shingles, the house is pretty much the same now as it was when the filming was taking place.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a quick note now that I can actually participate in the conversations here. I've loved this website since I stumbled across it about 5 years ago! 8)
Bama's House

Postby robiabill on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Hello - robiabill here.
Real name is Bill(57) and I am married to Stacey(45). We live in rural Denton County Texas(north of Ft Worth) but our old farm house is located near Paris in north east Texas. The farm house is about 100 years old and sits on six acres. We raise meat goats for our two daughters age 14 to show and we also sell meat goats. We have owned the farm house for about nine months and have already done a lot of resto work on it. We plan on retiring there when the girls graduate from high school. Previous jobs (when i was a lot younger) included framing houses and finish work. What I learned has sure come in handy on the resto !.. Currently I am a computer programmer for a big bank and my wife is a receptionist for a elementary
school in Denton. Really enjoy the forums here and have received alot of good advice and shared knowledge.
Cows don't get sick
Fences don't need fixed
When the weather is nice.

Roby
robiabill

Postby muneca509 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi im Jessica(26) i work in a medical office and im married to luis (27)who does hardwood floors
we have two little boys roman (6) and gabriel (5)
and a rott/mastiff named mia
this our second house the first was a 1905 bungalow and now we have a 1902 victorian.
and we are from walla walla washington!
muneca509

Postby artfox on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 pm

robiabill wrote:Hello - robiabill here.
Real name is Bill(57) and I am married to Stacey(45). We live in rural Denton County Texas(north of Ft Worth) but our old farm house is located near Paris in north east Texas. The farm house is about 100 years old and sits on six acres. We raise meat goats for our two daughters age 14 to show and we also sell meat goats.

Aaaah..cabrito! Love it, but wonder why so few restaurants in Houston have it on the menu?

Welcome! It's great to find more Texans joining the Forum. In Houston and vicinity, so many fine old structures have been demolished in the name of progress that most folks can't wrap their minds around the idea of restoration.
artfox

Postby robiabill on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:37 am

Yes cabrito - it is very good so guess what our Christmas dinner will be ??? The older houses in and around Denton are not being destroyed but are rather high priced when one does come on the market. I have always enjoyed working on houses but never dreamed I would some day be trying to restore a 100 year old house ! There are so many challenges to the point where at times I feel like bulldozing the whole thing and moving a double wide in... then I look at the before and after pictures of the one room I have just about finished and realize there will be a light at the end of the tunnel !!!.... Merry Christmas to you all and have a safe and Happy New Year....
Cows don't get sick
Fences don't need fixed
When the weather is nice.

Roby
robiabill

Postby CycloneOfRed on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi All,

I guess I sort of introduced myself on the 'pictures of your house exterior' thread, but I'll do it here again, since this is the proper place to do it!

My name is Kevin Anderson, I'm 26 years old and my wife, Stephanie, is 25, with a child of unknown gender 'baking in the oven'. About a month ago we closed on a 1887 brick Italianate (see aforementioned thread for pics). Hopefully, this will be our house for life (I personally would love to 'upgrade' someday to a Queen Ann (like igloochic's!), but as my wife must have horses, and real Queen Anns with acreage don't come along too often, I'm not holding my breath).

I taught middle school history for three years out in California at a private school until the economy collapsed and we lost almost 1/4th of our student body, and all the recently hired teachers, myself included, were let go (no worries, more time to work on the new house...and we're right down the street from a prison, which sounds like an interesting career opportunity). So, we moved to Michigan, where my wife hails from, and where we had been trying to get back to for about a year anyway. My wife is a pediatric nurse and thankfully is gainfully employed.

We're going to have to go through and remodel the rooms one by one as they all desperately need to be taken out of the seventies, and there is some beautiful wood trim hiding behind some poorly applied white paint. First remodel project is going to be the parlor. We're going to turn it into a library as both my wife and I are avid readers and have way too many books (and yet somehow not enough).

And Kristen, I know it was several months ago that you posted, but what do you plan to do with that awesome old building of yours?
Laws of Home Repair:
1) It will be more difficult than you think.
2) It will take much longer than you think.
3) Murphy's Law is in effect tenfold.

CycloneOfRed

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum