Who are we?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Who are we?

Postby matt8667 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:26 pm

i am matt i am 25 years old and just got married to my new wife tawney(23) . My wifes grandmother recently had to move in with family and we are buying he grandmother home for a very good price. My wife is all happy and is prancing around the house talking about kittens and paint colors. And i am dreding all the insulating that needs done,and redoing the upstairs. But its will be nice we have a small bedroom on the first floor so we can work on the second floor and not sleep on the job site. But i am glad i found this place, i will have lots of questions. Right now we told the landlord when we are moving out and its going to be a rush cleaning out the new house and old. I started cleaning out the kitchen, lots of old nasty expired food and for some reason 53 cans of stewed tomatoes?
matt8667

Postby YinzerMama on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 pm

matt8667 wrote:i am matt i am 25 years old and just got married to my new wife tawney(23) . My wifes grandmother recently had to move in with family and we are buying he grandmother home for a very good price. My wife is all happy and is prancing around the house talking about kittens and paint colors. And i am dreding all the insulating that needs done,and redoing the upstairs. But its will be nice we have a small bedroom on the first floor so we can work on the second floor and not sleep on the job site. But i am glad i found this place, i will have lots of questions. Right now we told the landlord when we are moving out and its going to be a rush cleaning out the new house and old. I started cleaning out the kitchen, lots of old nasty expired food and for some reason 53 cans of stewed tomatoes?

When we moved in there were a few humongous cans of tomatoes in the pantry along with some sort of tomato smashing device from Williams Sonoma. I guess some people just like to be prepared in the event of a tomato shortage?
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:32 am

Look on the bright side YM , tomatoes??? phuff... at least it wasn't apple sauce :lol:

Matt and Kevin - welcome to the crazy house 8)
lavender_bush

Postby YinzerMama on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:32 pm

At least I would have had a use for the applesauce. :) Assuming I could figure out how old it was...
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby Igloochic on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:57 pm

I guess I never did this either. Chatting here and there but no formal intro :) So here goes...

I am Dawn (47... :o when did that happen!) married to Jesse and mother of little Jesse (4). We hope to have another little monster running around the place in a year if we're just an 1/8 as successful as octomom (We do not aspire to her level of success LOL)

I met DH when he thought his business was going to fail and I'd have to support him heh heh Turns out, business didn't fail (I knew it wouldn't) and life has been relatively good to us. Fortunately giving us the opportunity to spend millions on finding a cure for our son's rare medical condition (ya really...just where you want to throw money huh?) The irony is...two million in medical bills (we have insurance thank god) and it took a 30 dollar drug to change his life for the better. :shock:

Anyhoo, I left my career as a banker to care for DS...we've seen the world heh heh all from the inside of hospitals (not the way to travel folks!) Though I did meet some lovely people probably like Kevin's wife. Peds nurses have the biggest hearts. I always have to acknowledge them when I read about or am talking to one. They have no idea what they mean to us parents.

Enough not so fun stuff...what the heck are these alaskan's doing in this old house in washington? We learned when DS was two and a half that it might save him to move away from Alaska and it's 8 month cold and flu season. We narrowed our choices to Duluth MN (A wonderful collection of historic homes at give away prices) and Port Townsend WA. 4 month season and 2 month season so Port Townsend won out.

Our plans were to buy a wonderful home called the Anne Starrett Mansion, which a distant cousin owned when I was a kid but e gads...it needs a million dollars in restoration work...yup you read that right. We settled on another queen anne but the owner is a bit umm goofy :) And wanted more than it was worth by several hundred grand. We negotiated for a year, but before we gave up and paid too much, DH said "why don't you call the james house and see if they would be interested in selling". I reminded him we'd asked a year before and they laughed us away via our agent. But heck, what's another laughing home owner when you need a house...so I called again. Turns out she'd decided to retire three days earlier. We met over coffee at the grocery store I used to spend my church coffer money at as a child (remember penny candy?). We bought everything....from the sheets to the beds they were on :) I own more down comforters than Lands End I think! It was much more house than we'd planned on buying, with a much more intense garden, but the location is killer, the house is killer, the view is killer, and despite the fact that cleaning twelve bathrooms may also be killer :roll: we're here.

Seeing my little guy in this house makes it all worthwhile. I grew up in a folk victorian and remember the joy of all of the nooks and crannies every time I see him open up a door to an eve up on the third floor. I am actually thinking of making one of them into a secret fort :) Someday he'll slide down the banister and I'll beat him for it :lol: and he'll hide treasures in the secret garden, and I'll always smile (eventually) because that's how a childhood should be. And that is really why we're here :)

That and we wanted to do another kitchen remodel LOL
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

Postby jharkin on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:28 am

Well, I guess its about time I introduce myself here also...

My name is Jeremy, I'm 33 live in eastern Mass and work in a software firm (though Im an engineer by degree). My wife of 2 years, Catherine is 32 and works as a nurse in Boston. No kids (yet) and we just moved into our house last year. Both of us are lifetime New Englanders.

We happened to buy our Federal period cape rather by accident. We both like the idea of old houses... Catherine has always been fascinated by the colonial and revolutionary period and I like colonials, Victorians, craftsmans... basically anything that is not cookie cutter post war. We were renting an apartment in a 1920s house but when we started shopping we got pretty depressed with whats available in our budget. We saw waaay to many 70s split levels on postage stamp lots :(. Then one day, by chance we happened to be on a tour of open houses and drove by this small little 1795 house on a half acre. The rest is history.

Is this our last house? Not likely. There will come a day when we outgrow the single bathroom I think, but for now we love it. We are doing much of the restoration work ourselves (with some help from my father the carpenter) and learning tons. Our dream is to someday retire on a farm in VT... or at least to a nice big 4 bedroom colonial era colonial on a lot of land someplace...

As to interests...
When I'm not working on the house I'm usually working on one of my hobbies. Main hobby is building & flying r/c model airplanes - big ones - and some of them are scale models of old airplanes, I especially love pioneer and WW1 era biplanes. I also collect and restore old stereos & vinyl records (mostly 60s vintage tube gear, but I'm also excited about the chance to restore a 1930s Zenith console radio for my mother in law). I also like hiking though I haven't had as much time lately... and I work on the cars and on the house of course. When we were house shopping I drove the agents nuts because I'm one of the few buyers they met who wanted an "un" finished basement!

My wife spends a lot of her free time gardening, photography, art, decorating the house and traveling whenever she can drag me way from a project !

Thanks for this great site and giving us the opportunity to share,

~Jeremy
jharkin

Postby CycloneOfRed on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Oh man, I had a neighbor back in high school who was all about the R/C Airplanes. His garage was FULL of em. He seemed to prefer the old war birds of WWII, (he was of that vintage) but he had a little of everything (I think he had 15 or so). My personal favorite of his was a monstrous B-17 with a good 10ft. wingspan.

But what I remember the most was his club met at his place to set off on a day of flying, and one of the guys showed up with a trailer, on which was an approx. 15 ft. long jet powered F-16 with retracting wings. :shock: Didn't know civilians could even own something like that!

Anyway, welcome!
Laws of Home Repair:
1) It will be more difficult than you think.
2) It will take much longer than you think.
3) Murphy's Law is in effect tenfold.

CycloneOfRed

Postby BeaArthur on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Haven't officially roll-call'd m'self, but since I'm getting a little comfortable on the boards, I'll through my hat in... I'm Heather, a grad student in library studies and stay at home mom to two under-two girls. We (read: husband!) are renovating our fairly nondescript early 20th century folk victorian-ish house... It was a bastardized, boring rental (with a particularly unattractive porch!) and had been stripped of any charm or story-telling history.. We've tried to bring her around with period-appropriate efforts and hope to move on to another house in need of rescue very, very soon.
1888 Queen Anne
BeaArthur

Postby Don Wagstaff on Mon May 31, 2010 5:21 am

Hello,
oh, I should be out cleaning off those beams there. My name is Don. I am living now in the Netherlands but come from Salt Lake City. This is the second house now here that I am working on. This one being a farmhouse is very different than the first one though both are located inside of small villages with histories traceable back to around the 11 century when monks established cloisters here built upon mounds of earth to keep them out of the ebbing sea - very low lying here, Holland , you know.
Curious to find out what kind of interaction goes on here.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff
Don Wagstaff

Postby Corsetière on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:38 am

Hello!
I thought I'd start here and introduce myself after much lurking. My boyfriend and I have just bought a lovely house (seen in my signature below) from a very nice man. We are scheduled to move in at the very end of December (yikes! Snow!).

About Us
Jeff, whose background is molecular biology, now runs his own scientific software company which he started with his father. The software specializes in recording and preserving important laboratory data with the goal that this information will be more easily shared among scientists. Cool, no?
On the weekends he DJs at a local goth/industrial/dark wave club where he plays some fantastic music.
He is a rather kind and patient man who has a truly spectacular necktie and antique cufflink collection. He also has most excellent taste in shoes.

I, Larissa, worked for many years as a buyer in the jewelry market but now I have my own company, Wilde Hunt Corsetry, for which I design leather garments and accessories. I am known for my intricately embellished corsets and handbags. Have a look: http://www.wildehunt.com
I am currently scheming on how to claim the most closet space upon moving in to the new place, as I too have a great many shoes. Tips? :lol:

Mr Grendel, our cat, is very, very bad indeed. :twisted: After luring unsuspecting admirers into a false security with his considerable charm and good looks, he will gleefully swipe at their exposed flesh with razor sharp claws. This routine is usually followed by piteously meowing for a second dinner. We love him regardless.

Anyways, we're really excited to move into the new place and feel ridiculously fortunate be in charge of taking care of such a beautiful old place. Reading this forum made me feel more confident about us taking on the responsibility of owning a historic home and I look forward to learning all I can from the members here. I hope to post some eyecandy for you all soon, as she's a real beauty!
Corsetière

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum