dcsimg

Who are we?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Who are we?

Postby Alexander on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Just discovered this thread also.

My name is Alexander, I am 56 and recently retired after working at Penn State for 33 years and I decided I needed a project in retirement instead of watching Gilligan's Island all day so I bought a big old beautiful house in need to some restoration. I moved back to my home town to retire and " the most beautiful house in town" as it was always called when I was a kid came up for sale and things worked out well for me. I have always loved this house and now I have rescued it in October of 2009. I moved in with 7 generations of accumulated stuff and three cats and have begun the process of researching and restoring this lovely house and hopefully when I move to the old folks home someone else will love it also.

The lady that lived here before had strong taste and painted the foyer and parlor pink and the dining room black so the real estate lady had everything over coated in off white, that I will eventually repaint but my DNA is forcing me to do the outside and structural work first the "pretty stuff" can come later. For some reason she graded the side yard 10 inches up the basement windows and plants were growing into the basement and the frames and sashes were simply rotting away so I am working with regrading and rebuilding windows to match what were there. If I get annoyed at times I just keep repeating " she did not paint the woodwork " and I am fine with it.

I have had such great response to my questions on touching up the woodwork I find this a wonderful and exciting site and this spring I am planning to rework the grounds with Edwardian plantings in keeping with the period of the house and I am sure I will be begging for assistance from all you much more experienced friends as things progress.

Thanks so much........Alexander
Alexander

Postby gregV on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:16 pm

New here....kinda barged in with a few post before I introduced myself. My name is Greg and I am passionate about late 17th, 18th, and early 19th century American homesteads, furnishings and life. I became burned out with it all about 4 years ago and went onto some other things. Just in the last few months that passion has overcome me once more and I'm back from that much needed break.
I hope to be able to give some good input to those that own pre 1830 homes. Happy I found this forum tonight and hope to be here often. :D
gregV

Postby BGlad1 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:46 pm

My name is Becky and I'm new here as of yesterday. I am 25 years old and have been married to my husband for 4 years. We have two kids, ages 3 & 2 who keep me quite busy.

We own and operate a one-truck trucking company. He drives, and I stay at home raising the kids, doing what ever is needed for the business, and taking care of everything around the house.

We recently moved into an older home that I'm still trying to find out more about. We currently rent the house and hope to buy it by next September. Since I was younger, I've always had a thing for old homes and antiques in general. I enjoy snooping around on here and looking at everyone's renovations, and hope to start some of my own in the near future. And that's me in a nutshell, I guess. :P
BGlad1

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Alexander
Greg V
BGlad 1
(anyone I hope I didn't miss who is also new)

To all of you welcome to the old house insanity, and welcome to the site. We love pictures as this is a major Show and tell site!
You will find a large group of wonderful people here to help you when you have questions, need opinions and just plain need some encouragement when the house thinks it's winning the battle!

Welcome to the Old House Family.
I too get more help than I can give and everyone here has always been most kind.

Deb
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby toddmoves on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 am

Hi - Todd here. I used to be toddinny a little over 2 years ago. Dropped off when I moved to California. I still keep in contact with abuela. Got away from the forum when I sold the other house, and the "new" old place is all re-done. Just thought I would see what everyone was up to and catch up a bit.

Seems I may be off again on another adventure after finding love in Sydney Australia. Fingers crossed all happens soon. Looking to eventually move into a "terrace" apartment as they are called down under. The Aussie version of a row house, with an upper terrace and wrought iron railings like New Orleans. Fell in love with them the first time I saw them, as is my partner.

So, for now, just going to catch up and see what you are all up to. Missed many of you!

Todd
toddmoves

Postby lavender_bush on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:54 am

toddmoves wrote:So, for now, just going to catch up and see what you are all up to. Missed many of you!

Todd

Hey, Todd, 8) to see you back.

It's fantastic that life is taking a different turn for you - we have family that live in Sydney and while they've lived in Papua New Guinea and NZ, Australia is home for them, they love it - I'm sure you will too.

It doesn't matter if you buy a newer home, keep us updated with photos - as you know owning an old house takes a ton of energy and money, It doesn't leave many $$$'s for travel. We can travel vicariously through you.

Keep in touch
lavender_bush

Postby cfisher057 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi, Chris here. I should be working on my thesis... but I am not.

My new wife and I were married in September and purchased our little 1820's cape in August. I had lurked on the forums for some time but, I have been active since we moved in.

I am a specialty foods buyer for a small chain of markets in the Northwest Corner of CT and I am finishing up my undergraduate thesis and moving on for my masters in history. Jenny is a teacher looking for a Job.

I tend to ask more questions than give constructive replies, but I love old homes. Whether I fully understand the technical aspects of them has yet to be decided.

Regards!
Chris
cfisher057

Postby yeoldebrickhouse on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:20 pm

I hope I'm doing this right... :)

I'm a lurker...

My name is Debbie, 46 years old, single mom of 2 girls and grandmother to 2.

I bought my 1908 American Foursquare single story brick house last year. It needs no remodeling for the most part. (lucky!) However, I am in the process of stripping paint off of all the redwood panels in the dining room. I love my old house so very much and hope to live here until death do us part.

I am a Service Manager at a tractor Dealership.

I love reading the forums and will try my hardest to participate from now on!
yeoldebrickhouse

Postby rkcorrigan on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm new to the forum. My name is Rachel, 26, and I live in a 1930's Tudor with my Husband, 28, two dogs and a cat. This is our second home. I grew up in a 1920's Tudor and love the stye. Our last home was built in the 1980's and I hated it. I am happy to spend my evenings and weekends restoring this place. The house is too small for it to be our permanent home once we have children, so we will be moving on to another, larger, old home in the next 5 years or so.
rkcorrigan

Postby KristenS on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:14 am

My name is Kristen. My man and I bought a c.1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman in Northern NJ last October.

We were both previously living in Queens (that's part of NYC to you non-Easterners). We met at our local pub and bonded over the Mets. Three years later, we started looking for a place together. He got a job transfer to Newark, and I swallowed my ego and said we should move to Jersey.

Not having the requisite $500k to get a decent place in Jersey City, though, and wanting a parking spot and maybe at least ONE non-adjoining wall, I swallowed my ego again, and we expanded our search to smaller towns. I found us a fantastic house in need of attention and love...and (hopefully) no plumbing, electrical, or structural work.

I quit my not-so-satisfying non-profit job in NYC. And I am now happy to be working full time on restoring the house, and researching its origins. I will be VERY happy when I can stop saying c. 1907, and get a damn build date on this thing!

And I'm thrilled beyond belief to find these boards. The people here are lifesavers. And are funny, to boot!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum