Who are we?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Wheedle on Wed May 25, 2005 10:35 pm

This thread is neat.

I'm Louise, I'm 26. I work as an Executive Assistant to a partner at an investment firm. About a year ago, my best friend and I got the idea that if we put our nickles together, we could afford to buy a house. We've aquired two roomates since then, both good friends, both guys. One cooks way better than either of us, and the other one comes equipped with some serious carpentry skills (and tools!). We're happy, though god knows what our neighbors must think. I know that with out the men I wouldn't get half as much done. We have, between the 4 of us, 6 cats and one dog.

Other than 9 months in 2000, I have never lived in a modern building. My parents always owned old houses, and they were nearly always under construction. My college dorms were built in the 1920's (other than my junior year), and my off campus apparment was turn of the century. I rented a bungalow built in 1938, and then moved here. I find modern buildings "wrong" somehow. I know how to replace a sash cord, but no idea how to operate tilt out windows.
~Louise
Second generation old-house addict, stripping & painting her very own 1869 Gothic Revival.
Wheedle

Postby Tom on Sun May 29, 2005 3:59 pm

I'm Tom and I'm an alcoho.... Ooops, wrong confession. I mean, I own a Tudor Revival in San Antonio, Texas since 2000. Have re-done the bath room and need to start on the kitchen. Most recently, I replaced and/or restored the exposed planking on my Tudor bungalow.

Divorced with two kiddos, 2 wonderful boys aged 7 ands 12. Am/was a lawyer working for a non-profit agency doing employment law. Most recently, I have been called to active duty with the US Army and look forward to an exciting tour in a place with lots of sun and sand. Despite my predicament... errr.. exciting opportunity, I have bought a couple of nice items from Ebay and some very cool butterfly hinges.
Tom
Tom

Introductions

Postby valewil on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:29 pm

My name is Valerie and I am 36. My husband Scott is 41. I have been visiting the Old House Web now for about 2 1/2 years, right after we bought our 85 year old house near Oshkosh, Wisconsin. We are a blended family I have 3 kids ages 21, 17 and 14 and his are 23, 15 and 12. I work in Human Resources and he is an Assembler. Our house is a 4 bedroom 2000 sq ft not sure of the style (possibly farmhouse?) Interior was remodeled and most of the original features are gone. Exterior is original (and that is a mixed blessing as the siding is rotting and needs to be replaced). This is our first house either of us has owned and we love it!
valewil

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:44 am

Hi valewil,
Please post some photos if you can. Perhaps we can help identify your house's style. Don

Postby kristen russell on Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:31 pm

Fun thread! There ARE a lot of you in IT!

I'm Kristen, 30, and my fiance is about to turn 29. No kids yet, but we have 4 cats that think they own the house. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, on an island off of Oakland, about a block from the water. I work as a senior artist in the video game industry and he works in healthcare. In our spare time, I like to work on the house and Ben likes to play the free video games I bring home. We enjoy collecting wine, hitting the farmer's market, and cooking gourmet food.

When I first bought my house, I hated it. I wanted big and new, yes, a McMansion. Boy did I have a lot to learn. I believe this house chose me, because it so desperately needed life (i.e. color) brought into it. Many of my experiments have failed, but regardless, the house loves the attention lavished on it. Now, I will never buy new construction.

I'm obsessed with antiques, old houses, and the arts & crafts period. In a few years we will be SoCal-bound, and I dream of someday owning a Greene & Greene home. Soon I will retire from my industry and become a full-time artist, and I plan to save old homes and resell them. I find that much more rewarding as a career.
kristen russell

Kristin

Postby valewil on Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:49 pm

Hi Kristin, I had to reply when you said you live in Oakland. I grew up in that area, in Fremont actually. Love that area! I remember as a kid we frequently went into the city (SF) and I fell in love with those huge old victorians! Someday, I will own one of them. Not there of course cause I will never have enough money to buy a home in SF but fortunately, there are plenty of those types of homes here in Wisconsin. Say hi to my mom for me!

Valerie
valewil

Postby kristen russell on Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:03 am

Hey Valerie - Fremont is beautiful! And the Niles District is one of our favorite antiquing spots!
We love the city too, especially at Christmastime.

--kristen
kristen russell

Postby V-Man on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:52 pm

Hello, Vince here, my wife is Nicole. I'm 39 and she's 33, we're both commercial real estate lawyers but she's retired (5 month old in the house), I practice at a big firm in Washington DC.

I love old houses, antiques and history. We've been looking at old houses in Maine, New Hampshire, Mass, CT and Virginia for some time (second homes and in some cases thought of relocating). Our primary residence is a new maintenance-free home so when an 1840s cottage came up for sale in the Virginia countryside 35 minutes from us, we couldn't resist the opportunity to spend time and money on fixing things :lol:

Our house is in a historic village, where the houses date from the mid-1700s thru the eary 20th century. Since we've closed in April, we've had the chimney rebuilt, the front two rooms painted, the exterior painted, the front yard dug up to dirt in anticipation of some new landscaping and the circa 1930s kitchen gutted down to the original pine floors. I'll paint the floors and install new base cabinets, pros will install the countertops. After a bathroom redo, we'll furnish it and I think we'll be weekend-habitable (I admire those who have lived in their houses while rennovating).
V-Man

Postby Jack Willard on Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:32 am

kristen & valewil,

I too came from the Bay Area, last in Hayward for 20 years, and before that in Alameda and Oakland. Moved to the Sierra foothills in '97 after divorcing my X.

The Bay Area was nice, but the traffic and continuous cities for like 50 miles was just too much. My favorite place to get away to was always up into the mountains for backpacking or snow skiing. My X always had to go to the coast. Now I get to be where I love to be all the time! :D

And to top it all off, I met my soulmate Lynn and we both found our Victorian house on acreage. Loving her and working on the property and house will keep me occupied nicely for the duration. :D

I just wanted to keep this thread going. It's so nice to meet and learn more about you all! :D
Jack Willard
ImageOn the way to California in 1972
http://members.oldhouseweb.com/jack_willard/Index.html
Jack Willard

Postby Ben Mayworth on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:29 pm

I'm Benjamin Mayworth. I am 16. We have lived here ever since I was born. My dad Kevin is 42 and mom Kailey is 40. Our house was built after 1920 and before 1945 there was something discovered at sometime that we were told kind of dated it. It is not really any particular style, more of a hodgepodge of a thing. My parents haven't really done much to the place except painting and minor repairs, but hope to soon. It is mostly as original. We have a horse, 2 dogs, and a cat, if the cat doesn't get eaten by the dogs. :?
Ben Mayworth

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum