Security in an old home

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby Don M on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:57 pm

We had a lot of mutts growing up and they were mostly great dogs. Susan gave me a Welsh Corgi pup 25 years ago and that's all we have had ever since. They are smart loving dogs with short legs & no tails. They bark up a storm when they hear odd noises at night but would probably lick an intruder to death given a chance. We tend to not lock the doors when we are at home although we do lock up if we are going away for a period of time. We always have folks coming & going at odd hours when we are away feeding horses running the dogs etc so the activity may deter would be criminal types. Our neighbors across the road are also vigilent. We have a variety of lights on timers so the house isn't totally dark until late night. I agree if someone wants to get in they will. My parents never locked the house & even left the car keys in the ignition! Times change unfortunately. Don
Don M

Postby johnb. on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Don: when you talked about leaving the keys in the ignition, you reminded me of this...

About 5 years ago, my father-in-law went to the store. He always has his dog with him. He left the truck running with the AC going for the dog. When he came out about 3 minutes later, the doors were locked! The dog, while jumping around, had stepped on the automatic door locks and locked the truck!

My father-in-law tried to get the dog to jump around some more, but the dog wouldn't jump on the right spot! We live in a small area, so security isn't a real big issue (right NOW). Anyway, the girl in the store was laughing her rearend off! I imagine it was quite a site.

So, he called the Missus and she had to bring him an extra set of keys and issue him a stern "I told you so"! I swear this story is true!

Hope this gives you your giggle for today!
johnb.

Postby Don M on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:28 pm

John B,
I am not laughing; Susan had exactly the same experience a year ago. She had gone for a riding lesson and left our Corgi in the truck with the keys in the ignition. He locked the doors and she couldn't get him to step on the right spot either. She had to call AAA to come unlock the truck! Now she is careful to not leave the keys in the truck and has a spare set hidden in the horse trailer. :D Don
Don M

Postby johnb. on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:55 pm

I imagine it is a humbling, if not humiliating experience! As for my father-in-law, he now leaves the dog home!
johnb.

Postby lrkrgrrl on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:05 pm

I worry about my pup opening the windows stepping on the auto-window switch. A friend's dog got his head stuck closing the window on himself.
lrkrgrrl

Postby Starr-Point on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:15 pm

Our Vizslas used to be just as bad. Until we started leaving them in the kennel, we only drove Fords that had the little keypad on the door, because they would inevitably lock us out.
RSS
Starr-Point

Postby Don M on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:29 pm

We have to use the window lock out switch because our Corgi female opens the window when the car is moving. Don
Don M

Re: Security in an old home

Postby CountryGirl on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:16 pm

bump
CountryGirl

Re: Security in an old home

Postby PowerMuffin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I left the car running one very cold afternoon. I was just going to walk around to the passenger side of the car to get my 18 month old son out of the car. He was going to visit grandma while I ran some errands. In the time it took to walk to his side of the car, he pushed the locks down. Just before the fire department showed up, I finally got him to unlock the car. I wish I had that whole event on camera. I must have looked the fool, trying everything I could think of to get this little kid to unlock the door! Learned a lesson there!
Diane
PowerMuffin

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum