dcsimg
Switch to full style
A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.
Post a reply

Fri May 19, 2006 10:07 am

I am also in dire need of more RAM, I might try to take care of all of that today. That should be simple enough, I think. Start taking the bottom of the laptop apart until I find where ever it goes and make sure I get the same kind of new ram?

Do not start taking things apart on your laptop unless you know what you are doing.
If you replace the ram on your own, make sure that you are grounded so you don't throw a spark and fry a component.

Also, what is the make and model of your laptop? I'll find out the exact type of RAM that you need. (RAM is like Baskin Robbins, there are 41 flavors and they don't all taste good together.)
How much RAM do you have now and how much do you want to add?

Fri May 19, 2006 11:43 am

For my wireless router, I was able to go to the mfg's website and they had a program I was able to run from their website which detected all the necessary info and set up the security/firewall stuff all automatically. All I had to do was click and pick a password. Belkin has a similar wizard.

Fri May 19, 2006 11:49 am

I will tell you what kind when I get home but I believe it is a compaq, one of the cheapest they sell. I think I only have 128k now and someone told me windows XP takes that much itself. I was going to upgrade when I bought it and the sales guy said it is really easy to put it in a laptop and could be gotten much cheaper if I bought it on my own. The comp is awful slow and some programs do not run very well. Example, when I do the online poker thing and I open a second table to play at the program has to switch to a lower graphic detail and it turns off the animations and sounds. I think it says because of low memory or virtual memory, something like that

Fri May 19, 2006 11:57 am

Windows XP takes a minimum of 256mb to run correctly. I'd recommend at least 512mb.
However, adding more RAM may not be the only thing you need to do.

Go to CNET.com and download AdAware SE Personal Edition. This is a Spyware remover and it's free. http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10399602.html
Load the program and run a full system search and let it delete everything it finds.
You, and everyone else, should do this at least once a week.

If you are going to poker sites, I can guarentee you that you have oodles of spyware.

Fri May 19, 2006 11:59 am

Don or Ken....could you rename this thread "The Computer Help Thread"?
And make it sticky?
I know that not all of us are technically savy and this would be a good place to look for a little help. 8)

Sun May 21, 2006 3:35 pm

As one who is no doubt, in the dark in the technical age, what is a "Sticky"?

Mon May 22, 2006 8:54 am

Well I would have gotten around to doing the security stuff this weekend, but unfortunately our dog ate the power cord to the laptop. This is the same cute dog you see in mos pics of my house on photobucket, and the same cute dog that ripped up the leather couch last week. I went to CompUSA and a new power cord cost $100, thats crazy. I dont know what I plan on doing, I definately do not want to spend the $100. I will probably try splicing it. The only problem is if I cant find a similar wire to splice with then the box that was in the middle of the power cord will then be 1' away from the laptop. That would also be a hassle.

By the way I checked and it is a compaq R3000 computer that I need to get the RAM for.

Sticky the post means put the little splat icon beside the post and it will stay up at the top of the boards or something like that

Mon May 22, 2006 8:59 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-hp-Compaq-AC-ADAPTOR-POWER-SUPPLY-Presario-R3000_W0QQitemZ6875009696QQcategoryZ116321QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's the cheapest I could find...

I had a dog that ate a beanbag chair once, and all my remote controls, and a sixer of Bud, and the seat on my motorcycle, I really miss that dog.

J.

Fri May 26, 2006 8:18 am

Turns out it wasn't the power supply, it is the jack in the back of the computer. I figured it would cost a fortune to pay someone to fix it so last night I took it apart. I couldnt let it become trash as I just spent another $55 on RAM for it. I had that thing in as many pieces as it would go in, every screw in the laptop was out. I looked at the jack a while and decided there was nothing I could do since it was so finely soldered in there. I was still going to call it a sucessful task though if I could even get the computer back together even if it didnt work. Well over 2 hours I finally had it back together, I even only had 11 extra screws, that not bad out of the 60-70 little hidden screws I took out ( I told my girlfriend the extra screws were from the bag they always put inside so if someone does have to take it apart and loses a few screws they would have replacements). But now believe it or not the jack even works again, so I guess I did something right. I was so excited to have "fixed" that thing. I consider this a major accomplishment.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:17 pm

So I have an AMD chip that is capable of 1.8 mhz. Before I put in the exta ram it was only running at 390 mhz and now that it has a total of 768 ram it run at 767 mhz. How can I get it running to the full 1.8 mhx or is this just not possible?
Post a reply