"The Computer Help Thread"

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby nutmeg on Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:47 pm

I think I figured it out (intial problem).

The PREVIEW button is NOT working for me either, what ever I do...it posts! I'm suspicious since the forum default is to return you to a message after posting - that...my left clicker on the touchpad might be less than springy - and triggering some other "default" with the forum software.

I've got XP-PRO on my work puter that I use to tele-comute, SP2 and sun java. I'm just not happy with it. Seems everytime they patch something, they cause another leak.

I was planning on having both IE 7 and firefox, perhaps I should forget exploder all together. Yes, I was initially going to wait a bit, but....Somebody's got to be the first sucker right? Figure who better than a ME burned user, right? But since the Notebook is showing its age (NONE OF THE KEYS except QWZX and P are marked on the keyboard -- I've worn all the letters off and the "place finder nubbies on F and L -- and this is my third keyboard for this Notebook and I'm on the second touchpad replacement!). I sure did get my money's worth out of HP under my extended warranty and the class action settlements on this baby though!

I couldn't in good neighbor spirit even consider selling this notebook when its time to pass it on. Frankly since I've taken multiple repairs and two settlement checks from HP, not even sure I'm supposed to be still using it myself! I figured I'd use it as a TV/DVD for the cabin at the lake, as long as it is still viewable (we run on DC there).

Anyway, am going to dig up a wired mouse at the office, and plug that in, and lock the touch pad sometime next week and see if that solves my chronic editing just to finish a post "issue".
Perpetual Student of the School of Hard Knocks: knows a little about a lot, yet knows a lot about little!
nutmeg

Postby Crash on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 am

We use Firefox, so I was surprised that typing http://members.oldhouseweb... in IE causes the address to get auto-changed to ...//www.oldhouseweb...

Is there a way to hellen-keller (awkward click or key combination) IE to not automatically adjust destination addresses? Seems IE likes www too much. And since it's other people's workstations, I can't futz with settings.

(Ich wünsche es sagen, aber es befolgte nicht)
Crash

Postby Danno2 on Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Somebody help. I've apparently been banned from the entire forum. Did I do something wrong or was it an accidental banning?

-Danno
Danno2

Postby Schag on Tue May 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Danno, you've got mail.
Schag

Postby MrWinkey on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 pm

Schag wrote:Nutmeg, your machine will not be powerful enough to run Vista.
I sell systems for a living and anything that was configured for 98 or ME just doesn't have the power or memory for that.
You're best bet would be to find a copy of Windows 2000.
It's a stable OS and will allow you to keep using your system for at least a couple more years.

I love 2000 pro.....god that is sooo stable. I really don't care for XP that much. Afraid to downgrade on my new puter to 2000,probably could do it but too much work. Waiting to see how Vista is?
Tee hee hee ....Boy do remember ME......totally sucked...crash freakin central!
1852 Victorian-Stick/Italianate
MrWinkey

Postby Schag on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:30 am

Waiting to see how Vista is?

Vista will be fantastic as soon as they put out the first service pack with all the patches and plugs.
However, Vista is a power hungry beast and you have to have enough computer to run it.
If you're system is running 2000, there is probably no way it would ever be able to run Vista. And, even some XP machines aren't big enough.
My recommendation to anyone looking to get into Vista is to buy a new machine with it preloaded, but only after the service pack is released.
I still sell only XP Pro boxes.
Schag

Postby selvatico on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:32 pm

hey administrators! is there any chance we could get a larger "smiley" palette? I feel stifled and constrained by my limited ability to express emotion. :( Don't know the specifics of what is necessary but I thought I'd ask.

1916 Prairie Style Bungalow
selvatico

Postby Danno on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:35 pm

fyi, selvatico, you can put any smiley you want into this forum, you just have to do it like an image. for example:
get this:
by doing this (without the spaces):
[ img ]http://emoticons4u.com/obscene/eck05.gif[ /img ]

find tons of emoticons/smileys here: http://emoticons4u.com/
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

Postby selvatico on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:56 pm

Danno wrote:fyi, selvatico, you can put any smiley you want into this forum, you just have to do it like an image. for example:
get this:
by doing this (without the spaces):
[ img ]http://emoticons4u.com/obscene/eck05.gif[ /img ]

find tons of emoticons/smileys here: http://emoticons4u.com/

'nuff said

1916 Prairie Style Bungalow
selvatico

Postby Schag on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:09 pm

Sel, I've sent a request to the Site Owners for this.
I agree, more Smileys would be nice.

Oh, and did you get my email from yesterday?
Schag

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum