dcsimg

Chance to buy a castle

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Castle

Postby gnorkiew on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:57 am

I live one street over from the castle. It is going for 175,000 because the house is a wreck. It has had black mold problems for the last two years. The roof has a hole in it thanks to the tornado a couple weeks ago. After the tornado we had heavy rains. The plaster is falling down, all of the wood floors are cupped. No central heat/air. The house will need to be gutted. I would think it would take 300 to 400K to restore the house. Houses in the neighborhood are quite expensive so a restored castle should bring a large return on investment.
gnorkiew

Postby txriverwillow on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:28 pm

I just saw the update in the paper the other day that someone is looking to buy it as an investment (flip a castle, love the concept) and that they are estimating $300K for renovations.

Beautiful exterior but it sounds like a nightmare inside.

Gorgeous neighborhood you have there around it. It is too bad that it has gotten to the state that it is in. I'm sure everyone around looks forward to it being done right.
txriverwillow

Postby lrkrgrrl on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:20 pm

Man, some people are so picky. Don't they realize that ALL castles are damp and dreary? They're supposed to be like that. Face it, life in the feudal ages was no picnic in the park. Plague and pestilence was all the rage. :roll: :wink:

They're marketing this thing all wrong: you should have to pay a premium for a genuine ancient ruin. You know, throw in a ghost or two, a body in the basement, and double the price. :twisted:
lrkrgrrl

Postby jeepnstein on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:20 pm

I'd consider it if there were a stuffed Polar Bear in the foyer and an exploding train set in the attic.

J.
jeepnstein

castle

Postby mogul on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:57 pm

txriverwillow wrote:I just saw the update in the paper the other day that someone is looking to buy it as an investment (flip a castle, love the concept) and that they are estimating $300K for renovations.

Beautiful exterior but it sounds like a nightmare inside.

Gorgeous neighborhood you have there around it. It is too bad that it has gotten to the state that it is in. I'm sure everyone around looks forward to it being done right.
Castle back on market
mogul

Postby artfox on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:13 am

The thought of buying a castle reminded me of acquaintences in Denmark who actually DID buy a small 16th-century castle to restore as their home. Work was progressing, it had electricity and plumbing, inspections were passed, so they decided to move in. The husband, a college professor, decided to use the top floor of a 3-story tower as his offlce. He recruited students to help him move files and furniture up the winding stair and all went well until they put his desk on the floor, which immediately collapsed into the second-floor room below! Luckily, no one was hurt, but the restoration costs were WAY over what they had estimated, and he didn't get to use his tower office for more than a year! For years I'd had the fantasy of living in a castle but after talking with people who actually do, my dream evaporated.
artfox

Postby lrkrgrrl on Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:54 pm

I built a castle at the beach, and proved undeniably that it's the moat upkeep that will get you very time.... :wink:
lrkrgrrl

Postby jeepnstein on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:17 pm

If you don't keep up with the moat, however, the neighbors are free to drop in and pillage whenever they get a free minute. Good moats make good neighbors.

J.
jeepnstein

Postby al_roethlisberger on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:35 pm

jeepnstein wrote:If you don't keep up with the moat, however, the neighbors are free to drop in and pillage whenever they get a free minute. Good moats make good neighbors.

J.

...and if going by the original employers of moats, they make good sewers too :?

Always looking to save a buck! :roll:

Seriously though, it would be very interesting to hear how this house turns out.

And that story about the desk falling through. I swear I saw that coming. What a shocker for them though. They're lucky it didn't keep on going through each level :shock:

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com
al_roethlisberger

Postby calclan on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:42 pm

jeepnstein wrote:I'd consider it if there were a stuffed Polar Bear in the foyer and an exploding train set in the attic.

J.

Why jeep, vous êtes si plein d'esprit
:wink: paula
calclan

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum