dcsimg

How do I get rid of the bees?

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

How do I get rid of the bees?

Postby Mrs._d on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:16 am

This is my second summer scraping, priming, and repainting the exterior. I'm almost done, except the East Bay. The old cedar shingles are home to a nest of bees.

From the saftey of the bucket truck, I've hit them liberally with Black Flag wasp and hornet spray. No luck. Perhaps I'll have to wait until frost. Do bees die after frost? Or do they just lie dormant? Yes, we have the material to deconstruct and re-shingle the East Bay.
By the way, in the next two weeks we'll have a new two story garage. Here are some photos from the concrete pour. This winter I won't have to dig my car out of the snow like an igloo. Upper story will be an art studio. Yippee!
The Wrolstad-Quien House 1893
http://www.1893victorianfarmhouse.blogspot.com/

Mrs. D
"Move forward and do what you have to do"
Mrs._d

Re: How do I get rid of the bees?

Postby wletson on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:35 am

Have you checked your local hardware store for wasp/bee traps. They work pretty well, but I guess it depends on how many are living in there.

A two storey garage!?! Drool! You've gotta keep us updated on the build!
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Daniel Meyer on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 am

Are they Honey bees?

If so call a bee removal person. They can assess to see if there's extensive honeycomb (has to be removed). They'll remove the bees if they can, exterminate them if they can't. The ones that got in the eave of our suburban "blah" house were exterminated. They used a dust and small bulb squirter to dust the hive, but they immediately swarmed the man (he was in a bee suit and just waited as they died off).

Careful, even on the bucket truck. If you manage to get their attention enough to attack, distance won't help.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby carol ny on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Wait till it's almost dark and all the bees are in the hive and then spray heavily with a bug and bee killer. You may have to do it several nights running to kill all of them.

If it's honey bees call someone to remove them. Carpenter bees make roundish holes. Once you have sprayed and killed them you need to seal up the hole. They typically go for unpainted areas of wood. So seal the hole and then paint over it.
carol ny

Postby Mrs._d on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:04 am

Warren, Daniel, and Carol,

Thanks for the tips. We live in a town (less than 350 people). I looked in the yellow pages, but found no "bee removal service", but there are other Pest Control companies listed. The weather this weekend dips down below 40 degrees in the evenings. Again, I wonder what time of year they go dormant, or die. I was hoping to wait this out. By the way we got busy with the vegetable garden and other things this summer and let the grass grow tall up against the east side of the house. Jon moved a bench from the side of the house and a zillion bees came out. Oooooo, the little buggers didn't like that at all. I'll be safe. I'll let you know what happens. The bees are all over this year, and especially heavy on the front north porch where we need to do repairs to the ceiling. They infiltrated there too. I'll call the pest control people today.
Linda-lu

Mrs. D
Mrs._d

Postby Mrs._d on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:29 pm

I called Cramer Exterminating. He arrive dthis afternoon, suited up and went right to work. He did a great job and was real agreeable to let me photograph the extermination event. I joural everything. Here he is at the East Bay. He named the wasp by name, "german something" but I was so giddy grabbing photographs I forgot to write it down.
He said the wasps make their homes in paper nests, and the trick to extermination is to get the bulb tip to penetrate the nest and puff the powder inside. There was a ground nest also inside a little tunnel.
Then, the final nest was in the ceiling of the front north porch. After he took care of puffing that nest--we ran away fast cause a hundred or so wasps came zipping out. DH Jon was fanning the flames telling me, you better get out of here, there going to get you now and you can't run any more but I can run! We don't have any steps on porch right now, and the railing assemblies aren't finished yet. I scurried away as fast as I could laughing. But, I've been stung before, and seriously it ain't no laughing matter.

Mrs. D
Mrs._d

Postby nathanhampton on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 am

My friend was facing this same problem of bees nest on the side of the house long back. Then at that time she searched on the internet for some professionals in her area. Then she got to know about professionals from some pest control company. She contacted them and exterminated her house. Likewise you can also look for professional decent pest control company in your area by searching them on the internet.
nathanhampton

Postby CaseyClements on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 am

its really satisfying to me man!
CaseyClements

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum