What is on my wall?

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

What is on my wall?

Postby ndgregor on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 am


I have a circa 1850 brick home I recently moved into. It has been remodeled over the years, but the staircase going to the second floor has plaster walls and ceilings. All with the exception of one wall, which is where the landing between floors is. It appears as if some form of thin (1/8” or so) fiberboard is placed over the wall. Whatever the material is, it seems to be bubbling off the wall in sections. It looks like it was also attached to the wall with nails in some places.

Is this likely a patch job instead of repairing the plaster wall behind it? There does seem to be some unevenness in the wall, so maybe this was their simple option as a repair? Just trying to better understand what I may be dealing with.
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest