dcsimg

WA State 1892 House Air & Insulation

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

WA State 1892 House Air & Insulation

Postby Monte1892 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:41 pm

I have a 2 story house built in 1892 in the SW of Washington State. I mention this because most of the talk here is in relation to the East Coast. I am 30 minutes from the coast in logging country. We average 50 to 100 inches of rain per year. There is no insulation in my walls (balloon framing). The exterior of the house was originally horizontal clapboard. That was covered in the 50's with cedar shake shingle siding. The house is on a raised (post and beam) foundation with approximately 24-30 inches of clearance. I had this area cleared out, the house leveled and a 6 mil vapor barrier put down. There are nine 8" x 16" vents around the perimeter of the house. In the spring I remove all of the covers from the vents. In the winter I cover them. I can feel the air coming through areas (outlets, cracks, etc). The base of the walls are open (not completely). I am very cautious about blocking any of this area due to air, moisture, rot. I would like to insulate the walls, but..... Without tearing the exterior off of the frame I want to know about air, moisture and how it would effect the house. I don't want to encourage rot. I am a big fan of the rockwool insulation. I use it wherever possible. Finding this type of information for old homes on the west coast is difficult at best.
Thank you for your time.
Monte1892

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum