dcsimg

Rochester, NY

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Rochester, NY

Postby buckhorn710 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:19 am

Not on Lake, Chris. It's down Glenwood Ave off Lake. Buried under snow!
buckhorn710

Postby Don M on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Fine house; would love to see more pictures! I enjoyed visiting the FL Wright houses there when in college low those many years ago! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby NewEnglandYank on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:24 am

I'm about 35 miles east of Rochester and have just purchased an 1889 Colonial house and hope to close in February. It was a nice surprise to find this site and quite a few New Yorkers close by.
NewEnglandYank

Postby NewEnglandYank on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 am

ChrisF wrote:I'm here in Rochester (Irondequoit). Great house! I don't recall ever driving past that house, and I'm trying to imagine where a house like that would be around here...maybe East Avenue???

I'm also guessing that you've been over to Historic House Parts on South Avenue....great place to find parts!

Don't forget ReHouse on East Main Street, Rochester. Great place for finding salvage materials.
NewEnglandYank

Postby angolito on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm

yank, this is a great site! welcome..... :D :D :D
angolito

Postby jade mortimer on Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:17 pm

new england yank...
i am so sure you are NOT a yankees fan so perhaps you are from england?

either way, i welcome you!

english yank, jade.....
jade mortimer

Postby buckhorn710 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Still not physically moved to the house for a silly reason. We have dogs and the yard is unfenced. Because it is a corner lot, the city does not give permits for chain link without a fight. The area is dumpy and many yards have chain link, including other corner homes, but.... It's going to be resolved one way or another in the next week or two. If I can't fence, I will likely sell the place. Can't justify walking 4 dogs 4xday in all weather to satisfy someone's dumb rule. You can't erect most other kinds of fence there, either. No wonder most of the homes in this area are relegated to being multifamily rentals.

Not "old house" related, but worth noting that some cities can be pretty dumb about this stuff. Ironically, in 1911, when the home was young, the entire yard was surrounded by a black chain link style fence - what I am asking for is historically accurate!
buckhorn710

Postby pqtex on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:51 am

buckhorn710 wrote: Ironically, in 1911, when the home was young, the entire yard was surrounded by a black chain link style fence - what I am asking for is historically accurate!

I would have never guessed chain link had been around that long. Do you have any old photos showing the the original fence?
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Savageone on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:30 pm

I live in Toronto. A few years ago, a friend of mine who lived in Rochester invited a group of us to come down and stay with him. He lived in Cornhill, and said there was a "Cornhill Festival" that was a big to do. Not knowing anything about Cornhill and not thinking much about Rochester, we went down with pretty low expectations. Only to be left with our mouths wide open - and I say this with lots of love - quite a few "happy" men had seen the good bones that this previously rundown area of Rochester had, and moved in, and each home seemed to outdo the other :shock: . I think I spent that whole weekend in a "wow" state. That pretty much shut my mouth about preconceived ideas!
Savageone

Postby sawyerjamesone on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 am

Wow, what a beautiful house. This house looks amazing.
sawyerjamesone

Previous

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum