What is this layer on the plaster?

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

What is this layer on the plaster?

Postby 1820federal on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Hey all, great forum. You have all been very helpful so far! I recently moved into my 1820 federal and it is full of charm, beauty and of course work needing to be done. We are stripping down the walls to the plaster to make sure we can fully repair and refinish them properly. Many layers of paint and a couple layers of paper in some places and I cane across this dark layer at the bottom. Under it is the whit of the plaster. Do I need to remove it as well before doing a skim coat? I am planning on doing a lime plaster as that’s what is already there and it’s mostly in fantastic shape. I just want to make sure everything is going to adhere well.

I’ve also added a pic of the original wallpaper we found too just for fun. The folks over at Adelphi think it’s about 1860 early fine machine made in America.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being a part of this group!
1860’s paper!
16DF3F5B-E621-4F77-B6C9-A9EBC20E8518.jpeg (323.64 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
BC14B3DE-6FA6-4357-83A9-2D0287D6333B.jpeg (408.11 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest