1850 italianate

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

boogy86

1850 italianate

Post by boogy86 »

I've been trying like crazy to aquire this place, i've called the city a number of times but they couldn't help me. I even called the "owner" of the place but he said he didn't own it at all and that he had never even heard of the place. ergh :roll: The outside could use a couple of doors and windows,paint, and some gutter work .As far as the inside goes i'm not sure because...well its boarded up :( the only thing i could see inside from the outside was a very decorative staircase, bull's eye molding and an old piano. probably gonna be biting off more than i can chew but i have a number of people to help me plus i love fixing up old places.

p.s. these pictures were actually taken yesterday morning so pay no attention to the date, i set it wrong on the camera.

Schag

Post by Schag »

You could always squat.
After 10 years, claim ownership. :lol:

stjomo

Post by stjomo »

I just bought a 189? italianate in st jo just north of you. you could try looking in the tax roles, it is bound to be in there. if not try the old city street maps. i know a real top realtor in stjo who helped us on the wayward girl...if you want her name just let me know here and i will get it to you. she's really savvy and specializes in historic homes...and didn't charge us anything in the end. she might investigate for a flat fee....or you could sweet talk her! it is an amazing and huge house, quite a project

41Gunn

Post by 41Gunn »

deleted
Last edited by 41Gunn on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunn House, Cuthbert, GA 1853

The Gingerbread Man

Post by The Gingerbread Man »

That's one beautiful old lady.
If it works out and you have repairs to do.......
Some of those corbels may need to be replaced and perhaps we can make a trade. An old rotten one (needs to be somewhat stable) for new ones
??????
ya never know.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Tax records are the way to go. Don't go by the address but use the parcel number. You may have to figure it out based on neighboring properties that are on the tax rolls. The county tax collector should be able to tell you who owns it based on the parcel number. If it doesn’t show up on tax records it may already be owned by a state entity.

I tried this on a house locally, without success. The house did not show up anywhere on the tax records and I couldn't figure out who owned it. It turned to be owned by the highway authority. They had planned to build a highway through the neighborhood back in the 70s but the plan was abandoned. They still owned the house but didn't have to pay taxes on it. I had to ask a few people in the tax collectors office before I found someone who was familiar with the place.

dennis

Post by dennis »

Just a work of caution. The built in gutters are going to be a big problem. Lots of leaking goin on there. And the roof was just slapped on to keep it dry.

good luck

boogy86

Post by boogy86 »

hey guys thanks for all the advice and to you dennis for the heads up. of course this place is gonna need a buttload of work probably but i'm down for the cause, even if i can't do it i'd like to see someone else do it because i don't wanna see that place demolished or become home to vagrants. i searched some of the old records by using the parcel number (thanks greg) and the 03,04, and 05 taxes haven't been paid on it which came out to a total of $5,955.35....yeah thats quite a bit. i contacted the supposed owners and they said they didn't own it, and the city doesn't own it so i'm kinda stuck right now.stjmo what condition was your place in? and ya know i think i might want that lady's name. and gingerbread man if i get the place then yeah i'll trade with ya.