Deconstruction Of 1860 House

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

AndyG

Deconstruction Of 1860 House

Post by AndyG »

I am trying to find information on companies that perform deconstruction (demolish) old homes. The house I own was built in the 1860's and will need to be demolished in a year, mid 2007. I plan to sell the hard wood floors, moldings, beams etc... to those interested. The house is in Maryland and in good condition.

AndyG
Andy Gawlik

Crash

Post by Crash »

Look in the yellow pages under "Wood Pimps"

drew in baltimore

Post by drew in baltimore »

Have you considered moving it? Or selling it to someone who would move it? 1860's houses are getting rarer and rarer in Maryland with all the developers demolishing them to make way for McMansion farms. There must be hundreds of people out there in the DC burbs who would be interested in keeping it intact.
Drew in Baltimore

1847 Greek Revival rowhouse in Baltimore
http://home.earthlink.net/~cathedralhill/id3.html

Savinggrace

Post by Savinggrace »

Hi Andy,

It is good of you to look into options this far in advance. I would consider looking into offering it for sale, to be moved; offering it to historic preservation groups, as a tax write off; or if it ends up being the best option to have it demolished, look for architectural salvage outfits.

That should get you started. Best Wishes!

Melissa

The Gingerbread Man

Post by The Gingerbread Man »

Advertise.......
FREE house. You move you own it.
No money out of your pocket and someone saves a graceful lady.
Just be sure all of the insurance is in place for your protection.

AndyG

Good ideas

Post by AndyG »

Thanks, some of your responses are good ideas. I have asked an engineering firm for the cost of stabilizing and moving the house farther back on the property, added on top of the renovations needed; it is far above anything I can afford. I have considered and will advertise in the newspaper the house for sale to move at own expense and will consider giving it away just to reduce the cost of deconstructing it. The house has been in the family for 30 years and believe me there is a lot of sweat and blood put into, but for everything that gets fixed something breaks, and being in the military these days doesn't give me a lot of time to work on it.
Thanks again for the ideas, and if you think of anything or know anyone interested, let me know.
Andy Gawlik

catya

Post by catya »

Andy, if there is a place on your property to move it to why not do that-- it would not have to be repaired for actual use at this point only kept from deteriorating... which is a whole different (and cheaper) strategy. Future uses for the house either by you or future owners could include studio, workshop, guest house, living space for an aging parent. I strongly feel it can be an asset to you instead of a liability. They aren't building 1860 houses anymore and like collector cars and any other antique they will increase in value.

eaton

Post by eaton »

WOOD PIMPS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's classic...I love it.

Andy,
Seriously rethink taking an 1860 house in "good" shape apart. Maybe someone would be interested in moving it.

We've salvaged a few houses that were pretty rough but still worth saving. In the end the owners decided that they'd rather burn or knock the houses to the ground, so we did the salvage work to keep the wood from being completely wasted. It always makes me a little sad to dismantle history though.

Savinggrace

Post by Savinggrace »

I also wonder if you wouldn't consider moving the house to a different part of the property and renting it out for a few years to offset the cost.

Best wishes,

Melissa