BEES!!!!!

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Piggy

BEES!!!!!

Post by Piggy »

I have a hive inside of my old brick house. We've tried to professionally exterminate 3 times without luck. I finally decided since it was cool I'd fill in the void where the hive is with some foam insulation hoping the bees wouldn't be able to get there.

Well I didn't account for the bees already at the hive which found the only way out into my bedroom. I had about 100 in there but I got them taken care of. I just hope I don't go through this every year. I can't get to the hive without taking out the brick and that's not an option.

The joys of owning an old house..... :lol:

sundine2

Post by sundine2 »

We had some in our ceiling of our porch. The exterminator had to spray some powder in the hole. Eventually they all died out but he got stung about 3 times just doing that...

RaeSzafir

Post by RaeSzafir »

Piggy, dont worry, as long as they were not honey bees. We had a hive that was about 4 feet wide by 2 1/2 feet tall in our wall due to a small hole in the front facia boards. I waited a bit longer knowing that most will die off during the cold nights and then used to spray foam as a temporary plug in the hole. Only the queen and a few soldier bees re-emerge in the spring so hopefully they will be trapped and just die. Haven't had any bee incidents since.

Piggy

Post by Piggy »

I'm not sure what kind of bees they are, but what happens if they are honey bees?

barrett

Post by barrett »

imagine a giant honeycomb inside your wall, with honey leaking into your house... somebody here had a pic of it.

Piggy

Post by Piggy »

Great, that's probably what I have. I know there is some stuff on the walls that looks like dried up honey.

HB

Post by HB »

Here's a bees nest that i found under a false sill that one of the PO's built in the bathroom. Thanks god it was inactive when I found it :shock:

HB

Jen

Post by Jen »

We had a hive in the last house we did, on the landing under the big window - there was this huge bulge in the plaster, we thought there was a leak causing the plaster to pull away from the lath boards. We too, were lucky, as it was inactive. Imagine our suprise. . .
"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

bene43420

Yellow Jackets Nests

Post by bene43420 »

Check out these wasp condos! Fortunately they had been exterminated years before I bought the house by the electricians who re-wired the house. These are just the largest 2 of many that I found in my upstairs walls during plaster and lath removal.
By the way...I am new here. Should I put my posts in Pre-1900 or Post-1900? The foundation is 1872 but the house was rebuilt in 1915 after a cyclone.
?!?

Piggy

Post by Piggy »

I think you need to post in the "Post 1910 Cyclone Forum".

Kidding....I think you're welcome anywhere. Those are some big wasp nests, did you have any problem with them trying to come back? Was that next in a living space? Seems like the buzzing would get annoying to the previous owners somehow.