Question ? Difference between a Cooks and Butlers Pantry

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

CountryGirl

Question ? Difference between a Cooks and Butlers Pantry

Post by CountryGirl »

I have an original pantry off the kitchen but I don't really know if you would call it a cooks or butlers pantry. It has 2 large upper cabinets to the ceiling, red linoleum counter with (lower) 3 large drawers on one side and another cabinet on the other. in front of the window it has just 2 lower large drawers, a large dough board that pulls out and a large flour bin. No sink. It looks all original from the basement below no extra holes for water ect. Thanks for your replys. I just love looking through all the comments here. What a wealth of information and some extraordinary people who are so generous with their knowledge.

1898 Folk Victorian Farmhouse

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

A butler's pantry is built in the passage between kitchen and dining room. A pantry is a dead-end closet fitted out for food storage.
Casey

lrkrgrrl

Post by lrkrgrrl »

...and if it has a sink, it's a scullery. :wink:

bookish

Post by bookish »

From the description I'd probably call it a cook's pantry. A butler's pantry was more about serving food, the storage of china, washing up fragile crystal, etc.
There was the traditional pantry we think of today, a closet for food stores. Sometimes it was a small room, other times just a large cabinet.
There was also another kind of pantry, not just for food storage, dishes would be stored there too, and it would also be equipped with a work table.
From what I've read, it was probably a good space for certain kinds of food preparation, when the cook wanted to get away from the kitchen heat. A nice cool pantry, shut off from the heat of the stove would be a splendid place to prepare dough for breads and pastries.
http://victoriandecorating.blogspot.com/
http://earlytwentiethcenturyhomes.blogspot.com/

I am not interested in proving how sad life can be to people who already know it.
Noel Coward

CountryGirl

Post by CountryGirl »

Thank you for all your input. This is not a butlers pantry but Bookish's last remark about keeping dishes,food and preparing baked goods there seems to fit the bill. I knew that you would all know the correct term.

Susan

Sherwood Farm

Post by Sherwood Farm »

A washing-up "pantry" is actually a scullery.

A specialty cooking pantry a stillroom, for making jams, pastries and of course distilling the odd bottle of elderberry wine -strictly for medicinal purposes!

And a room intended for storage of cooking supplies: spices, flour, grains, some cheeses, potted meats, and so on, is the larder.

For plain country houses that might have only had a hired girl, or two, to help out it's most likely that your pantry is more a larder than anything else.

A butler's pantry usually signifies a room (as described above) where the family's fancier dishes, glassware and flatware were washed and stored between meals. It was called a butler's pantry because in well-staffed houses the butler was in charge of the silver and best tableware, while the housekeeper was in charge of the table linens, and the cook ran the kitchen, but didn't get too involved in the service of food above stairs.

LorenaBlairBOp

www.pof.com

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

Brooklyn Beckham's whine above the crafty beer

I couldn't help giggling a while back as I watched David and Victoria Beckham's eldest son Brooklyn being given a ticking off by his bodyguard after he was caught in the beer tent at London's Winter Wonderland.

The 17 year old and three pals were supposedly being supervised by Victoria's pals Mel C and parker and eva longoria and a burly security man at the Christmas event.

When Brooklyn was tracked down, The bodyguard was seen giving him a stern emailing. despite the fact that Brooklyn, Who moves 18 in March, Gave just like he got, And reacted with a teenage tantrum. I consider he was saying he'd only had one pint of Beck's!

parker and eva longoria, Melanie Chisholm and Brooklyn Beckham attended a VIP Preview of Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland

Mayfair's plush 5 Hertford Street home to fashionable nightclub Loulou's is still being targeted by hackers. sixty now so bad that owner Robin Birley has asked his members who pay 1,500 a year for the privilege of sipping champagne on his sumptuous sofas to change their personal emails to help solve the problem.

The club is honored on being London's most exclusive venue and counts Hollywood royalty, Rock heavens, Billionaires and supermodels among its members but even with the aid of police, what are named as phishing attacks haven't stopped.

As I submitted last month, Hackers managed to access the club's top secret list and sent out emails asking for bank details from its wealthy members some of whom fell for the scam. on his email, robin said: 'We continue to work with the cyber police to find the source. One suggestion from the police for those in receipt of latamdate sign in a phishing email is to change your email.'

RELATED ARTICLES last 1 Next

GIRL surrounding TOWN: Is Star Trek Alice now plainly going it. GIRL near TOWN: Pippa Middleton tries to end rift with.

She has documented her hilarious attempts at finding a new partner on online dating services since her divorce from Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood. But I can reveal that Jo Wood finds love again with the toyboy builder who once broke her heart. Jo first dated Paul Scarborough in 2012, When he done anything about her 3 million London townhouse. But the first sort model, 61, Dumped him after determining he was engaged. yet still, Paul and Jo popped up at a halloween night party last month, And when I noticed her last week she confirmed the happy news: 'I don't have any vices except for Paul. But that's not me giving him up. We're spending Christmas together and I'm giving him me naked excepting a big bow for his present!or,--.