Repair to Porch no flashing

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

kingfisherfarm

Repair to Porch no flashing

Post by kingfisherfarm »

Hello, I am desperate. I cannot seem to get a contractor to repair something done by hubby's best friend. Said friend did repairs to our leaking porch roof, and in doing so, he removed the bottom most layer of house siding and did not flash the joint to the roof and porch. He nailed shingles all the way up to the house wall, then left a gap that allows water to come in. This year we got driving rains that have damaged celiings. Can I do this myself? I gathered flashing, roofing cement ( this is in tubes and is several years old) some shingles, caulk guns, hammer, prybar . I need nails. WHat kind of nails do I use to nail the flashing to the house? do I spread roofing cement to the house before applying the flashing? I bought some wooden siding to cover the flashing, and I am assuming I should paint it first before applying it after the flashing, I was thinking of bending the flashing in a 90 angle to go against the house and over the shingles. Should I remove the shingles and put the flashing against the wood on the porch roof or just on the shingles? do I then cover that part of flashing with a layer of shingles or just roofing tar?
I know this isnt brain surgery, more like braun, I am an artist and seamstress. Sales are slow now, so I have some time to do this..... am I biting off more than I can chew? Any advice? Thank you in advance, and I can take photos.
Oh! I can access the roof through daughter's bedroom, avoiding using a ladder.....At age 47 I dont want to break my neck.

kingfisherfarm

Re: Repair to Porch no flashing

Post by kingfisherfarm »

ok tried to show photos, from photobucket, not having any luck!

Schag

Post by Schag »

Here are the steps on how to post pics in your post....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8590&p=47630#p47630

kingfisherfarm

Post by kingfisherfarm »

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

flashing goes under (or into) the lowest course of siding. Where you have a solid wood item, like a window sill, the flashing should go under it as well. Flashing is the sort of thing you want to do well and do once. With the low window sill I see in your pics, you have a hard job ahead of you.
If the flashing is to be painted the same color as the siding, it can go over the lowest course and then under the second course. This helps get the wood siding above the splash zone, so it stays drier, lasts longer. Along a sloping roof, you should use step flashing and counter-flashing. Google these terms for a better explanation; my 2 typing fingers are getting sore.
Casey

kingfisherfarm

Post by kingfisherfarm »

Sombreuil, what an interesting handle! Is that for a rose? Well, I just got an eyeful after googling this. No wonder they all run. I was correct, hubby's friend had no idea how to do this, and now it must be torn off. And it is going to be dangerous. No wonder they all run! I dont have a scaffold. And I dont think there was any step flashing ever on this house. You can see some metal there, very old, and much of it is missing. Also, the botton sill of the windows have all rotted. No wonder! Well, I guess this is beyond me. I called the guy that came last week and he doesnt return my calls. Thats why I got frustrated and decided to try and tackle this, but now I'm thinking this is a daunting task and will be expensive to hire out, if we can get someone to do it!!
Thankyou for providing me with the proper terms to search. You have been most helpful. Pam

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

In all likelihood, there was a metal roof there once. Certainly not modern asphalt shingles. So, the original flashing details are long gone.
Casey

Mr. henry

Post by Mr. henry »

Retrofitting flashing may be dificult at best. Having installed the shingles without replacing the flashing makes it more dificult, the same goes for the window... On the sloped roofdeck the first piece of flashing goes down on top of your felt paper at the eave edge. Do not allow the flashing to direct the rainfall behind the siding, even if you have to leave a little of the verticle portion exposed. he flashing should be a 10" X 10" square piece of matal folded at a right angle. If you buy prebent, 6"x6", double the coverage, using two pieces per shingle, it's supposed to be 5" verticle rise behind the vapor barrior, behind the siding, with a 5" lay over the headlap of the shingle with 10" coverage. After the first piece is on, put on a shingle, then your next step flashing, then the next shingle, and so on.The flashing along the top is called coil flashing. the coverage across the headlap of the shingle shuold cover the seams in the shingles so that coverage looks like 3 or 4" in your case. The verticle rise along the wall should be 5". The flashing comes before the low window and is cut and bent to cover the sill plate the window is installed upon. Since your window is already there, there should be a rabbit or daddo slot cut into the bottom of the sill at the factory in case of this circumstance. Your flashing should be inserted into this slot as best as possiable. You have no sill in this application. So remove the storm window, fold the flashing up, then inside the sill, trim nail it, caulk the seams around the jamb and reinstall the storm, keep the storm closed for hard rainfall. You will have to loosen the corner post casings, or just remove them, cut them and remove pieces or whatever to wrap the corner as best as possiable. After all is said and done correctly, your vapor barrior is missing or badly deterioratd. This means that whatever rainfall that hits the wall and leaks behind your siding, will be able to get behind the flashing making it look like a roof leak, so prime, paint and caulk all the cracks. Done correctly, there is no need for TAR. As you may have noticed, this is not easy, it's only a porch and to learn all the finer points takes years. BTW, I too have been told I'm an artist, it's just an ugly medium. Good luck an if you dont DIY, watch them to see if they do it right.

kingfisherfarm

Post by kingfisherfarm »

Thankyou so much. I finally got an estimate for flashing 2 porches at $1600. I wonder if this is enough money to do a quality job, this roofer gets a lot of jobs from a large respected company in the area.

Mr. henry

Post by Mr. henry »

Any one who would roof for friends for free, like your hubby's friend did, is a keeper, he ment well ! :)