Pretty Parlor Painting Party

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Banner

Re: Pretty Parlor Painting Party

Post by Banner »

anti wrote:So even what I see in pics 3 and 4 is plaster? It looked like wood from the picture!!

1.) How do you skimcoat something so uneven as your molding? Anto
We use a putty knife and a 4" plaster knife. the trick is to add as little as possible and simply try to feather the edges so there isn't an abrupt change. Once the plaster (drywall mud) is dry sand it so it's smooth.
anti wrote: Is there a specific reason why you are using oil based paint? (I assume you are, since you're using oil based primer....) Anto
We are useing a high quality latex paint but first we use spray oil primer in trouble spots and regular brush on / roll on primer in other large areas of fresh plaster.

IAnto[/quote] Can the same treatment be used to fix plaster where the paint is cracking and breaking off or does plaster not stick on paint? Should a filling primer like XIM Peel Bond be used there?

Thanks!
Anto[/quote]

Anto,

XIM is a is an exceptional one on hard to stick surfaces or you can use Zinsser White Tintable B-I-N Shellac Base Primer. We used Kilz

Our walls and probably most plaster walls from this period were originally painted with a thick layer of Calcimine. What you are seeing in pic 3 and 4 is the layer of calcimine and some pigment residue. Pigment looks like wood in this case and the calcimine looks like 30 layers of paint. Most places it has held and is stable but in a few places it has failed.

Calcimine is an old, chalk and water based paint. New plaster walls are supposed to cure for up to a year before they are painted, but calcimine can be used right away. Often, people would build a house, plaster the walls, wait a few weeks and then throw on some calcimine. After some time, they could wash off the calcimine or paint over it, when the plaster had fully cured.

The problem is that as the calcimine ages, the binding agent in the “paint” starts to fail, and if any water or moisture gets between the calcimine and the plaster, it starts to release. If someone paints with latex paint, the water in the latex paint penetrates to the calcimine, and then the paint starts falling off on its own. It's almost impossible to paint over calcimine with latex. So we use oil primer to "fix" the edges of the cracked off area. We used a spray so as not to put any additional pressure on the calcimine. After the primer is dry we make plaster repairs and then we paint with a high quality latex paint.

Here is an excellent article that goes into great depth on how to deal with calcimine ceilings.

http://www.plasterlord.com/notebook/fcalcimine.htm

I hope this helps, Dan (Banner)
http://webpages.charter.net/picturegallery/index.html
National Register of Historic Places

anti

Post by anti »

Dan,

You have no idea how happy I am to read your reply. It all makes sense now!!

THANKS!

I have been trying to figure out what was happening with my ceiling/walls since I have bought this house 2 years ago, and nothing was making sense! This "paint" (the calcimine) was too thick to be just paint, and I couldn't see many different colors and layers. I thought it might be the top coat of the plaster, but behind it the plaster looked perfect, so I was not convinced.
It was clearly failing because of humidity, so i I couldn't imagine painting it with a water based primer would help, but now that I read your post (and the article you recommended) I understand perfectly!

I'll do what's recommended and go with an oil based primer after knocking off loose bits, then fix the plaster then paint.

Did I thank you yet?!

:D

Anto

Banner

Post by Banner »

Hi All,

Amy finished painting in the parlor. Here's a few pics. Amy bought a palm for the parlor. I just picked up this painting for the living room. It's by William August Stanhope, 1929. Stanhope was a Los Angeles CA artist (1857 - 1947). This is a painting of dinner plate dahlias.

Ripley, our Golden Retriever was watching me from the top of the stairs as I was taking pictures.

Dan (Banner)

http://webpages.charter.net/picturegallery/index.html
National Register of Historic Places

LorenaBlairBOp

afro introductions reviews

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

online dating services

Posted in , online dating sites tagged Asian lady, idyllic Asian ladies for men, Horoscope love of his life, IDwheneAsia Zodiac Msupportchmaker in 10:01 am and also Idateasia

do you believe in horoscopes? ever think about finding someone who perfectly matching your zodiac sign? acne outbreaks,though there no science data or facts that support Zodiac loveme.com scam matching, around the, We think all methods that bring about love should be tried. We referred to it as iDateAsia Zodiac Matchmaker!

Why do we create such service since we got thousands of brilliant Asian ladies for men to meet and date? very well, Some of our members have told us that they having problem choosing the loved one among the sea of gorgeous Asian singles. They don know what kind of lady probably will be the one for themselves. To solve this challenge, The iDateAsia Zodiac Matchmaker was made and is planning to help our members reach the right lady.

And the great thing that this service is totally FREE! The Zodiac Matchmaker will match you twice each day. So our dear buyers, Thank you for the trust and supports. And we like to show our love to you for action. Here is the excellent news for you!

During 24 november to 1 December, members can send some Live Chat animated emoticons for 65% off sale (0.1 rating)! It is the best chance for a romantic Live Chat with your favorite lady.

So hurry up and go get the sale now,

october 28, 2014Don miss out on Our Halloween Fun Game!

Posted in , online dating service personals tagged Free credits, IDareAsia girlfriend, IDateAsia pastime, IDateAsia bloody halloween 2014 at 7:44 am through process of Idateasia

Hi males, are you experiencing a plan for your Halloween yet? It coming just about to happen. So isn't it time?

:))) all right, It a not a new game but you can obviously have fun. We call it Spot a big difference Yeah, You definitely have learned to play the game. But the very worthwhile part is that you can win prizes (Like FREE COUPONS and FREE 'tokens') through game.

not difficult. Spotall thedifferences between two very similar photos of an iDateAsia lady on a Halloween background and then you get a FREE LIVE CHAT COUPON ( clean, ok? ) along with pumpkin. this is why, that will FREE, putting it simply,put another way, You can have a trial of its featured services like browsing photos of gorgeous Asian singles and a brief live chat with pretty Asian girls without costing a penny, that it your call, To decide whether to be the member of this Asian dating site or not.

first off, This free trial is open to anyone who wants to find a Southeast Asian girlfriend or a exotic Asian bride. So if you seeking an interracial matrimony with some hot Thai girl, tender Vietnamese lady or sexy Philippines woman, Don miss an opportunity! proper in!

And what can you get from the FREE trial? 1) 20 minutes of FREE online chat with the greatest Asian singles; 2) 5 FREE mails or EMF mail correspondences; 3) Browse photos of thousands of prettyAsian ladies; 4) Get a FREE view show in the hotties.

So do you want to get the FREE TRAIL now? Click this link to create an account and finish the sign up process with your basic details, then you definitely definitely get the OFFER!

november 5, 2013Lady, So dub Me, i guess?

Posted in tagged Asian dating, Date Asian the opposite sex, IDateAsia systems, gal call me, online dating at 8:31 am using Idateasia

Carly Rae Jepsen gets popular due to her song Call Me Maybe. people enjoy this song. And I also crazy about it. I guess it tells our deep wishes to be chased and to be loved! exactly how, Girls will give out their phone number when they meet someone handsome or attracted to them, Hoping that anyone day he will call her and ask her out for a date. But think about your diet guys? Should he wait to get the number? How about he it is wrong to the contact way and letting girls make the first call? could it be possible.