Pretty Parlor Painting Party

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Banner

Pretty Parlor Painting Party

Post by Banner »

Hi All,

Holidays are over now it's time to get back to work. Everyone grab a brush and lets get this done. We have scraped and repaired the plaster and primed and begun to paint the parlor. We are going to duplicate this dot pattern (see below). Our picture rail will be painted with a metallic gold paint, glazed and highlighted with a dark background.

Here is the dot pattern that we discovered after scraping. It was used to decorate the crown molding just above the picture rail.

New curtains are in and ready to be hung as soon as the parlor is painted.

We hung the living room curtains. We are going to add a cloth pleated shade under these.

Dan (Banner)
http://webpages.charter.net/picturegallery/index.html
National Register of Historic Places

Mrs._d

Re: Pretty Parlor Painting Party

Post by Mrs._d »

Banner, this is a seriously beautiful room. Wow. Look at all the work. Just stunning. Photos like yours are why I spend a lot of money on decorating and design books. Please send photos when you finish painting your green bedroom.
The Wrolstad-Quien House 1893
http://www.1893victorianfarmhouse.blogspot.com/

Mrs. D
"Move forward and do what you have to do"

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

A painting party sounds like a good idea. Maybe you've given me the inspiration to head out and buy that paint today. I think we'll get started on the dining room. It's too cold here to do much else. My son has some extra time on his hands. It sounds like a good job for him.

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

A painting party sounds like a good idea. Maybe you've given me the inspiration to head out and buy that paint today. I think we'll get started on the dining room. It's too cold here to do much else. My son has some extra time on his hands. It sounds like a good job for him.

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

egad--how stunning! lots of work behind the finished product....

your title makes me have to p......

...jade
Last edited by jade mortimer on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anti

Post by anti »

Ooooooh, Banner!
Beautiful!!

Now, I have a lot of little detailed molding like you show in your pics 3, 4, 5 and 6. Obviously, painted over a million times like almost all surfaces in this house. Someone suggested I use a gripping primer on everything and paint over yet again. Someone else told me I should remove all the molding from the walls, strip and reattach.

I doubt any of these solutions describes what you did. So, can you please explain to me what precisely you did to get such amazing results?
Heatgun? (but i thought you couldn't use it ON the house, fire hazard....and wouldn't it ruin the plaster?) Chemical strippers with masking tape to protect the plaster?

I don't know about yours, but my plaster has also been painted over a few times, and the paint is now alligatoring and bubbling all over the place. What do you do with that?

Pleeeease keep posting pictures and let me know if you have any tips for me! Looks like you have a very good idea of what you're doing, unlike me!!!!

Brrrrr, 15F here!!!
Anto

S Melissa

Post by S Melissa »

Pretty Parlor Painting - indeed! Turning out great. I do want to see the "dot" pattern once that's done - if you're not "dotty" in doing that! Egads. Such a wonderful house. So glad we get to be a part of it's refurbishing. Really glad you let us talk y ou into it!!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

Banner

Post by Banner »

anti wrote:Ooooooh, Banner!
Beautiful!!

Now, I have a lot of little detailed molding like you show in your pics 3, 4, 5 and 6. Obviously, painted over a million times like almost all surfaces in this house. Someone suggested I use a gripping primer on everything and paint over yet again. Someone else told me I should remove all the molding from the walls, strip and reattach.

I doubt any of these solutions describes what you did. So, can you please explain to me what precisely you did to get such amazing results?
Heatgun? (but i thought you couldn't use it ON the house, fire hazard....and wouldn't it ruin the plaster?) Chemical strippers with masking tape to protect the plaster?

I don't know about yours, but my plaster has also been painted over a few times, and the paint is now alligatoring and bubbling all over the place. What do you do with that?

Pleeeease keep posting pictures and let me know if you have any tips for me! Looks like you have a very good idea of what you're doing, unlike me!!!!

Brrrrr, 15F here!!!
Anto
Hi anti,

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Our crown moldings are solid plaster. They were pulled by the plasterers when the plastering was done. We can't remove them so we have had to chip back any loose paint and skim coat them with a surface layer of plaster. After the plaster dries we use a spray on oil primer, kills. and then we just paint. We do have a little wavy / bumpy going on. The gloss paint we are using does show all the in discrepancies but for the most part it looks like old crown molding that has been freshened up.

If the moldings were much worse off we may have had to resort to something like this.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0 ... 23,00.html

Dan (Banner)
http://webpages.charter.net/picturegallery/index.html
National Register of Historic Places

anti

Post by anti »

So even what I see in pics 3 and 4 is plaster? It looked like wood from the picture!!

How do you skimcoat something so uneven as your molding? Do you use a sponge? And is there a specific reason why you are using oil based paint? (I assume you are, since you're using oil based primer....)

Can the same treatment be used to fix plaster where the paint is cracking and breaking off or does plaster not stick on paint? Should a filling primer like XIM Peel Bond be used there?

Thanks!
Anto

Govega

Post by Govega »

Your parlor is simply luscious, I just love the rich warm colors. It just looks too cozy to ever leave. The curtains are especially beautiful and I love the slight drape the valances have, that is just perfect.

Thanks for sharing. I can't share this with my husband, he will be putting our house on the market to buy a Queen Anne! ! ! !