dcsimg

Country kitchen sink and sink base

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Country kitchen sink and sink base

Postby meandmsjones on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:27 pm

After working on my home rehab for almost seven years, I am breaking down and doing the kitchen remodel in my unit, finally.

My home is a Queen Anne Victorian, estimated age 1895, and a duplex. I live in the lower. I have a pantry with built-ins, and a hutch in the kitchen area. I have an old farmhouse kitchen sink that looks like this:

http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/uploade ... 716546.jpg

(only mine is in pretty bad shape. I have re-enameled it once, and lost half my brain cells. The enamel is peeling again)

Before you all try to talk me out of it, it's got to go. I have not learned to love it, neither has my back. I cook a LOT, so a better sink set up and dishwasher for that five foot wide wall is a necessity.

That being said, after I found out how expensive country sinks/farm sinks aka apron front sinks are, I almost ditched the idea, until I found an affordable one at a merchant that will remain nameless for fear of further flogging by you all. :wink:

My issue is that the sink calls for a 24" wide country sink base cabinet, and the cabinets I am looking to purchase don't have a country sink base in this width. The sink is sooo affordable I can't seem to scratch it from the plans.

So my question is, is this something that can possibly be rigged to work? Other ideas/suggestions?

Just to give a bit of background, my old house was my first home purchase at age 29. The home spent 17 years before that owned by a slumlord. Since purchasing it, I have removed and reinstalled new cedar lap siding, completely landscaped the backyard, did a completel remodel of the lower bathroom, and two bedrooms, refinished maple wood floors, rebuilt a front porch, and many other little improvements here and there. The lower kitchen is one of the last things to do, along with upper unit bathroom. I don't have a lot of money, so being "historically accurate" can be tough at times. However I do try my best. The kitchen currently has one wall cabinet and one base cabinet and that's it, and these are circa 1970, aka "ugly". The new cabinets I am purchasing will match the existing pantry cabinets which I believe could be original. So the country sink is also a nod to the past, even if it will be next to a dishwasher.

How do I make this work? Unless someone has an idea for cheap country sinks elsewhere? (They are typically $1200 - $1500 at Kohler or American Standard).
meandmsjones

Re: Country kitchen sink and sink base

Postby Mrs._d on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Hello meandmsjones,

I know you said you don't want to re-do your kitchen sink, but perhaps you could find someone to buy your old sink and find a re-porcelained vintage sink you'd like more. Here's an idea: You might call Ray, see information below.

Ray is from Appleton WI--125 miles from your home in Milwaukee. We purchased a re-porcelained 1903 Kohler clawfoot tub from Ray. Ray restored it (re-porcelained) by heating to red-orange, and applying porcelain powder--making it brand new again, just like the day it was born. It's better than a new tub, it has a bonafide past. It's seen a lot of necked people that's for sure! (Neck-ed is how us hillbillies pronounce naked). My friend from AL says, "he was as necked as a jay bird when he streaked across the stadium." :roll:

By the way, Ray's price was half the price quoted by Miracle Method. Besides, Ray may have a client in mind who might want your big ol' farm sink for a pretty penny.

Here's what Ray's business card says.
Porcelain and Fiberglass Refinishing & Repair
Backed by 50 Years Experience

We reglaze:
Bathtubs
Tile & Sinks
Showerstalls
Spas & Hot Tubs

Valley Dura-Coat
4724 Altamont Drive
Appleton WI 54913
920-450-6866

We were extremely happy to find Ray. He is a real history buff regarding vintage and antique tubs. His prices are reasonable and we highly recommend his services.

Linda
(mrs._d)
The Wrolstad-Quien House 1893
http://www.1893victorianfarmhouse.blogspot.com/

Mrs. D
"Move forward and do what you have to do"
Mrs._d

Postby moonshadow317 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm

I love Mrs. D's suggestion to have your sink re-done by Ray (I only wish he lived by me) but if you are set on buying new. These cabinets are solid wood RTA (ready to assemble) cabinets. Think Ikea only better :wink: and they have 24 inch sink base cabinets. It might take a while to download as this is their spec book.

http://www.discountcabinetsonline.com/p ... 75&mid=484

I did my kitchen in the Charleston line. My sink is an undermount:

Karen
moonshadow317

Postby meandmsjones on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:06 am

Great suggestions ya'all! Thanks! I will for sure look into Ray. I would recycle my sink no matter what, be it Craigslist or an antique store or maybe Ray! There is not much wrong with it other than the enamel/porcelain that is worn near the drain. Also, I did a pretty crappy job when I redid it myself. It's nice and gleaming white, but you can see drip marks in some places. I know both American St. and Kohler are making these sinks again, and they go for a pretty penny!

Glad you mentioned Ikea - that is where the sink is from (gasp!).

For cabinets, I really liked the Cross Creek line from Kraftmaid sold at Lowes, but it's $1,000 more than the Haas line, which is the only line that stains Maple in a dark chocolate brown. Being that this is an investment property that we currently live in, my significant other is always trying to get me to take the cheaper options. I will check into the link you gave me for those cabinets.

I LOVE this forum and oldhouseweb, I truly do. Priceless. You guys always come through!
meandmsjones

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum