Moving into the 1795 cape (maybe 1830?)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Moving into the 1795 cape

Postby jharkin on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:59 am

So that's it for a while. For now we are just working on little projects like repainting doors. Next major milestone will be bringing the electrician in to update the service panel after that tax rebate shows up.....
jharkin

Postby Don M on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 am

OSV is an interesting place; we took our sons there when they were young. Another place of interst near you is Strawberry Bank in Portsmouth, NH. They gathered historic houses in harms way & moved them to that historic area. (I posted this before but it disappeared!). Good your POs savced your old doors for your reuse! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Barbara001 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:11 pm

Your 1795 home is adorable!!! What an amazing condition it is in.

I was wondering about a paint colour. What was the colour you used on your MB walls (former den I believe)? I am looking for a nice grey (I have three sample squares painted on my LR now, all of them are too blue), your grey looks great. :D
Barbara

1889 Rowhouse
Victoria Park Heritage District
Kitchener, Ontario

www.365daysofcenturyhomes.com
Barbara001

Postby Harlow13 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am

What a GREAT house! My favorite style and the perfect vintage! And what great condition! Ours is NOT in great condition... Not even close. However, there is still a decent roof and the windows all work (although some are broken) so I guess I'm better then some and worse off then others. I posted my wall paper removal pictures. And there's sooooo much more to go yet! :roll:

The home is beautiful- enjoy it! You did a great job!
"If you listen closely you can hear the soul of those who came before you" ~Unknown
Harlow13

Postby jharkin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm

The "grey" is actually a pale green - though in bright light its looks slightly grey-ish. I have to double check the exact name but its something like peaceful or serene something green (BM). We tried samples of a bunch of the BM historical greens but all were too dark for our tastes...
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Harlow13 wrote:What a GREAT house! My favorite style and the perfect vintage! And what great condition! Ours is NOT in great condition... Not even close. However, there is still a decent roof and the windows all work (although some are broken) so I guess I'm better then some and worse off then others. I posted my wall paper removal pictures. And there's sooooo much more to go yet! :roll:

The home is beautiful- enjoy it! You did a great job!

Thanks. , but dont worry mine is not as perfect as it looks (but I guess they never are) - the more I look the more issues I find...

We are planning now for a minor sill repair job next month (2ft rotted section needs replacing). My dad the carpenter is going to help me do it ourselves so look out for an interesting thread on that adventure soon ;)
jharkin

Postby kecleveland on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:26 pm

FYI. Your floor boards appear to be eastern white pine, not heart pine. Make sure you double check incase you ever need to match or replace any of the flooring. The floors in my house look almost the same as yours. I actually have a few 30" floor planks in the upstair bedroom.
Dutch Colonial, ca 1780
kecleveland

Postby KathyJB on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:10 am

Whenever I hear that a person here has bought a home built in the 1700's I just get chills down my spine. So much history and so well built. 214 years old and still standing. Not only that but it looks new. Do you ever stand in a room and wonder who may have stood in that same spot? I mean, this house was built only 19 years after the Revolution. Only 2 decades after the country was formed, and the Declaration of Independence. It's totally amazing.
I just have to get to that side of this great Country and breath in some real history. :D
KathyJB

Postby Don M on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:26 am

Yes Kathy there is an East Coast! I lived in the great state of Texas for 5 years before returning East 10 years ago. I have often thought how much my present landscape probably looks as it did in 1840 or so when my house was built. There are a few out buildings missing & there was probably more open land & less woods than we have at present but the builder would easily recognize the property if he returned today. Our township is still 90% rural & only 27 miles from the state capitol! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby Josiecat on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:15 am

JHarkin,

I absolutely LOVE your floors. Lovely.
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas
Josiecat

PreviousNext

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum