dcsimg

Moving into the 1795 cape (maybe 1830?)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Re: Moving into the 1795 cape (maybe 1830?)

Postby mfglickman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 pm

OMG how scary - I'm glad your son was not hurt!

BTW I just donated that little FP house in the picture when we moved - it was hard to let go - great toy.
"The Revolutionary Cottage" ca. 1758 in NW CT
mfglickman

Postby Don M » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 am

My gosh; that's incredible :shock: ! I'm glad there was no serious injury to you & yours. Obviously the contractors were correct about the weight.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby jharkin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:11 am

I'll put up some more pictures later. The contractors were great, they had everything cleaned and sealed the holes with poly in a about 3 hours. Saturday morning they came out and drywalled at 9am so we could have everything ready for the kids 1st birthday party. They are sending a paint crew this week to blend the patch in with the old plaster, finish and paint.

It was an eventful weekend to say the least. But on the bright side I can really see the difference. Its in the 20s outside and I put 3 logs in the wood stove at 8am and didn't need to reload it until dinner!!
jharkin

Postby jharkin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Ive been quiet this year, but we actually did get some things done. Our town is in the running for this contest called "America in Bloom" and all over they are putting in new gardens and flower plantings and cleaning up. So we decided to follow suit and focus on the exterior and yard this summer. In the spring we cleaned up edged and mulched all the gardens for the first time since the kids were born. This week we finally got around to getting the rotten fence replaced with a nice new cedar spoke fence (contracted, not DIY). I allso gave the house a well deserved siding wash and did lots of tree pruning and general outside maintenance.

EDIT: This picture gets clipped. You can click here to see the entire image: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/376440_4169092555268_1396632489_n.jpg
Last edited by jharkin on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jharkin

Postby Don M » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 am

Looks wonderful; congratulations!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby jharkin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:47 pm

I've been on staycation the last 2 weeks and made some more progress. I got the fence primed (oil) and stained (latex). Much more work than I was expecting though so just one coat of stain for now. Ill see how it wears before tackling a second coat.

The hardware is from historic housefitters again - to match our entry door latches. I was going to hang the gate with functional strap hinges but the installers didn't think they would work so we switched to the decorative ones. I usually dont like fake hinges but in this case they look sharp IMHO. And Mrs. Jeremy really loves the look :)

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Second project for staycation was to work on paint touch up around the back of the house. Nothing too fancy, just a quick scrape, spot prime, re-caulk and restain of some bad areas.

jharkin

Postby jharkin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:04 pm

And while Im at it I wanted to restore the kitchen sink window. Its an old double pane casement of unknown vintage. All wood with real spring metal weatherstrip, glass is etched "Thermopane (R)" which I guess was a brand at some point. This is the window that we had water leaking in from the ice dams two years ago. The lower rail of one window was starting to rot (not sure what you call it on a double glazed window, the piece of molding where the putty would be had popped out), all the weatherstrip was panted shut and the inside of the jamb had never been painted at all.

[EDIT: Now that Ive starting reading old window threads I find out that the jambs are not supposed to be painted! Oh well live and learn, at least in these casements the window doesn't slide against the jamb like a double hung. I did leave all the places there the window would touch the jamb only primed to reduce sticking. Someday I hope to replace these casements with proper double hungs that match the house better anyway. ]

So I pulled it out, stripped the paint from the windows and all hardware, glued the bad moulding back in with geocell and small nails, repainted and put it all back together. Seems to work good as new now and the old weatherstrip actually seals it. No more leaks.

Sash out, painting the jambs...

One sash before refinishing

Stripping

Almost done

Done
Last edited by jharkin on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:29 pm

One last project for vacation week - we took down most of the old interior doors from storage above the garage. Idea is to refinish and reinstall them with reproduction hardware the same as I did in the front hall. But first I have to get the old paint off... 6 doors... some have so many layers I cant even see the moulding profiles around the panels :(

I'm really tempted to send them out someplace and have it done - anyone got pointers in the western Boston suburbs?

jharkin

Postby PowerMuffin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:58 am

The house, window and yard look very nice. Good work! Stripping the doors will be worth the work as you know. Are they the doors original to the house? If so, you are so lucky to have them. (We have no original doors.) Are you going to paint them or stain them?
Diane
PowerMuffin

PreviousNext

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum