dcsimg

Moving into the 1795 cape (maybe 1830?)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Moving into the 1795 cape (maybe 1830?)

Postby 1935 Colonial on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 pm

I've used Soy-Gel numerous times and have learned it needs to be on thick for multiple layers of paint, and waiting 12-20 hours helps tremendously. My 1935 colonial has chestnut trim on first floor and cypress on the second. It was painted sky blue and pink and then white at some time. The Soy-Gel removed almost all the paint the first application, especially the longer I waited. As I worked I began applying the gel at night and would remove the next day. I also found the nooks and crannies did not come out. So I applied again in those areas, thickly laying it on and waiting a day. All those nooks and crannies loosened up. What didn't come out with steel wool, came out with the woodworking dental tools I picked up at Home Depot. This second application also removed the original varnish. It cleaned up beautifully with denatured alcohol and steel wool. Finished w Danish Oil Natural and wax. That wall will clean up with a second application, #3 steel wool and dental tools. Let it work over night to penetrate that paint.
1935 Colonial

Postby jharkin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Today, I happened to be putting the trash cans out for the week and I got a drive by compliment on the house from a local old houser' who apparently saw these threads :) :) If you are here say hi....

Anyway, that reminds me I havent checked in in a while. Not a lot of excitement to report, finishing the exterior painting took longer than I thought, then I had to do a long trip for work, so we ended up packing the doors away for the winter.

I did get all the touch up done, and one last detail... a new white mail post to go with the white fence and white lamppost. I was going to just get a home center special... but Walpole woodworkers is just around the corner. Man you could get in trouble there ;) My neighbor happens to own the town sign shop and I got him to make up some nice lettering for the box in a rustic font I found.

All the paint touch up is done... Doesn't look much different I know but up close its 110% better and I re caulked around all the windows and doors with the good stuff. I think the previous paint job was a quickly to get the place ready to sell.

jharkin

Postby Don M on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 am

Does Walpole Wood Workers still make pre-fab buildings? My Dad bought a very nice 12 x 18 free standing building that came on a truck with all doors, windows, shutters pre-installed & only required us to assemble the walls & put up the roof---that was probably the most difficult job to get the panels up & bolted in place. We used it as our tack room for the horse barn what a great project & product!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby jharkin on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 pm

I think they do, when we drove to the showroom that had small prefab sheds on display.. And catalogs an inch thick with all the variations.
jharkin

Postby cberhomengarden on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:17 pm

I haven't been around the forum in a while & this week I have been catching up on past threads.

I guess I get the interior decorating bug in the fall each year and I returned to my paint removal of the wood trim in my house. Previously I used a heat gun & then denatured alcohol with green scrubbies. But I ran into an obstacle of the last coat of paint (perhaps a primer) that laughed at both the heat gun & D.A.

After searching on the forum I found Smart Strip, made by the Peel Away company. This stuff is amazing! It is the consistency of merengue & does not have any strong odor. It is marketed as biodegradeable & nontoxic. I accidentally got it on my skin & had no reaction to it after wiping it off while wet. I have pets and a 4 yr old at home and none of them went near it either.

I painted it on the trim thickly with a paint brush, wrapped it in regular plastic wrap & left it in place for 24 hours. When I removed the plastic wrap, the old paint was like melted butter on warm toast. It scraped right off. I cleaned up any residue with some denatured alcohol & rags. It is down to bare wood. I tried it on my window trim which was painted with maybe 6 layers of paint & it works very well. I cover more ground with this stuff with much less muscle needed. It can be messy, but I work methodically & clean section by section.

Perhaps you could try Smart Strip to clean up those doors? It was at my local Benjamin Moore dealer for $16.99 per quart or $45 per gallon. Online prices seemed similar.

Hope that helps!
Carolyn
Carolyn
cberhomengarden

Postby cjacomme on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:17 am

Hi,
Relatively new to the boards, although I have been
Browsing them for sage advice for the past 4 or 5 years.
Sorry for the abrupt shout out on my drive by, but have enjoyed
watching your progress! While our floorplans differ slightly, our
course of renovation has been very similar, although I think we inherited
A bit more work :D . We are just a town north from you and our home is
aged at 1830 (oldest record) and situated at a similar fork in the road.
Some have speculated parts of our home date to the late 18th century-
specifically the front rooms (and 1/2 story above). We also have an ell
(kitchen) and a second ell that was added in the early 20th century. If
the front portion of the house is originally older, i would speculate that
there was a good deal of repair in the early/mid 19th century - a lot in
the house (granite dressings, beam widths, etc) is suggestive of that time frame.
Current project: replacing horsehair with drywall (and a little insulation!) in the
diningroom (which will become the livingroom)....now let's see if I can figure out
How to post pictures...
cjacomme

Postby jharkin on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 am

cberhomengarden wrote:Perhaps you could try Smart Strip to clean up those doors? It was at my local Benjamin Moore dealer for $16.99 per quart or $45 per gallon. Online prices seemed similar.

Hope that helps!
Carolyn

Ive used Citristrip for paint removal on the basement and kitchen windoes and a few other places... I know it, or soy gel or smart strip works... just hate the mess.
jharkin

Previous

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum