Front door opening lever

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Front door opening lever

Postby wletson on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56 am

Holy cow, beautiful ceiling. I'm considering doing something like that in my master bedroom, but wow, I could only dream that it ended up looking that good! :D
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby Jack Willard on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:35 pm

I totally agree that the door operating lever is a piece of character worth restoring if you can (but ONLY for door operation). Good luck!
Jack Willard
ImageOn the way to California in 1972
http://members.oldhouseweb.com/jack_willard/Index.html
Jack Willard

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:14 am

miffytoki wrote: I agree wholeheartedly.
Along with a pull chain to dump a bucket of water on solicitors! I think we're on to something.

In the UK we call Attorneys and Lawyers 'Solicitors' so I think you are definitely on to something :lol:

I always makes my smile when I see a sign here in the US that says 'No Solicitors' 8)
lavender_bush

Postby utopia13 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 am

That place is so neat! I love all the special little details, the woodwork, the high ceilings! S.F. is such a beautiful place...some of the most colorful architecture & people I've ever seen or met!

**When you need a cold one & a bite...drop in at "The Knockout" on Wed evenings for Sushi night! My niece & her hubby (Erin & Tim) own ICHI Sushi & he caters there on Wed. Good food & really fun people! :D Tell 'em Mo sent ya!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby lrkrgrrl on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:15 pm

If you make it operational (and I'll guess it was decomissioned due to security reasons), you should track down one of those mirror/prism things that let you peep out a top-floor window to see who is at the door. I want to say Ben Franklin invented them, but I won't give an affirmation on that.
lrkrgrrl

Previous

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum