Clamtown house progress - we're getting there!

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

iamfoundinHim

Clamtown house progress - we're getting there!

Post by iamfoundinHim »

Hi everybody!

Been awhile, but me and hubby have diligently working on the house, trying to get as much done as we can before the new year. Both the dining room & kitchen chandaliers are hung, and the kitchen went in this weekend (no countertops yet), including the new wood floors (which are currently covered to protect during work). I know many of you love pictures, so here's my updated ones: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43977413@N02/?saved=1

LOTS more to do, and now we've got another stumbling block. Our idiot tenant was told to get our by the first of December, and he has yet to move a thing. To top it off we had an agreement with him that he was responsible for the oil heat (we pay everything else), and he left the oil tank run out & instead of calling us just hooked up a ceramic heater to heat the upstairs apartment (yeah, WE pay the electric bill!). Talk about frustrating!! To top it off, when I was there today the sheriff showed up to serve him papers (since February 08!) that he's been trying to get to him. He's being sued by two different credit card companies for non-payment. It's a single guy and obviously a real jerk. No lease or rental agreement with us and paid cash since he's bounced so many checks, so I don't know what rights we have as homeowners. Typically the law protects the tenant.

Well, enjoy the pics, and I'll keep plugging along! :mrgreen:

Trina from snowy & chilly PA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43977413@N02/
Image My "mutt" house (1890-1920-ish!)

angolito

Re: Clamtown house progress - we're getting there!

Post by angolito »

i really like the beadboard ceiling.......

and toally sympathize with the tenant problems. :evil:

amygwen999

Post by amygwen999 »

Love the beadboard!!! Are you gonna paint it or stain it?

S Melissa

Post by S Melissa »

You guys are making progress! Good for you! It looks just fine.

As for your tenant - since you have no lease with him - throw him out. Turn off his electricity, water, heat, whatever and get the sheriff out there to evict him. He had till a date certain and he's not moved and you are under no olbigation to give him housing without a lease. Or you could drive him out - get there at 5 a.m. and begin with the air hammer and saws and have the kids and dogs running around making noise - upset his life. Invade his apartment - sorry - you have work to do - etc. Get creative! Good luck!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

Turn off his electricity, water, heat, whatever and get the sheriff out there to evict him.
I think that may just work since it's winter, but if they are working on the house, they need the electricity. If you guys could have all the utilities cut off legally, do it and after he is gone, you could get back to work.

Don M

Post by Don M »

You have accomplished so much in such a short time; congratulations! The kitchen looks terrific! Good Luck evicting the bum. Do it sooner than later; some tenants trash the place on the way out & you sure don't want that. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

dpsours

Post by dpsours »

Doesn't he ever leave the house? Change the locks on him and put his stuff by the curb.
1887 Octagon

iamfoundinHim

Post by iamfoundinHim »

Well, the 'bum' has at least STARTED moving out his stuff. My hubby gave him until Sunday, and I told him that if it ain't all out I will open the upstairs window and chuck it out onto the lawn. I'll also call the SPCA if the dogs aren't go, as well. My saying for the new year is "it is what it is", and he needs to know we're not tolerating his negligence for his own convenience at the expense of making our life miserable. Like Don said, I'm hoping he doesn't trash the place any more than he already has. Most of the upstairs will probably be gutted, anyway. Lots to do before January!! Unfortunately the idiot's got 4 dogs of his own (YES, 4!!) and would probably end up terrorizing my weimeranier (Willow). She's already on Prozac, and I'm worried about what moving will do to her brain. She's a wacky dog already.

Holes are drilled for the kitchen hardware, and I'll probably get back today to put it on. Did the 'old style' pulls ('cups') with matching knobs. Also putting a nice cabinet in the laundry room with matching knobs that will go above the washer/dryer. Floors are getting re-sanded in two parlors this week,too. All painting is officially done downstairs. Yee-haw!! I'm SO tired of painting. We're HOPING to be able to pull out all the teeny tiny stables in the dining room where there was luan put down. The floors are wonderful except for the staples. I'd hate to have to put a low-pile carpet in there.

Thanks for the encouragement. Remodeling AND moving AND winter, AND Christmas just ain't a good mix!! :? I'm sure it'll be worth it!

Trina in foggy PA

Josiecat

Post by Josiecat »

I'm loving that beadboard ceiling in the kitchen!! :D
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas

iamfoundinHim

Post by iamfoundinHim »

HI all,

Got some more pictures to share: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43977413@N02/?saved=1 We're re-sanding floors (picture of the back parlor), there's a picture of the new front door, as well as the kitchen cabinets and the old-fashioned drawer pulls. Please ignore our *mess*, as well as the 2" of dust from sanding. It's coming along. We're hoping to get to the cabinet counters next weekend, and by that time we'll be ripping carpeting out from the upstairs apartment and taking out the extra kitchen. I'm pooped!! :roll:

Good news. The wonderful tenant called my husband tonight to say he'll be moving the rest of his stuff out tomorrow - yee-haw!! Unfortunately it'll be about the same time we'll be getting nailed with a nor'easterner snow storm. Don't care "how" it happens, just so it happens, right?

Hope you are have a wonderful weekend. You know what I'LL be doing.

Trina from chilly and soon-to-be-snowy PA