early 1800's shutters

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

early 1800's shutters

Postby Andy Buckler » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:53 pm

I need to replace damaged shutters from my 1830's house. All I can find is manufacturers of shutters with 1-3/4" louvers (which are too small), or full custom millwork. The ones I removed have louvers about 3" in width, with about a frame thickness of about 2" - obviously a heavier construction than the typical ones. Is anyone out there able to point me to a manufacturer of the thicker shutters, without the expense of full custom work?

andrew_buckler@hsgmed.com
Andy Buckler

Re: early 1800's shutters

Postby Rick B » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:57 am

http://www.buyplantationshutters.com/sh ... rison.html

They have 3 1/3" louver shutters.

Is there any way to repair the ones you have or are they totally shot?

lildog@adelphia.net
Rick B

Postby Don M » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:44 am

Hi Andy, Rick asks a good question. I have been repairing the shutters on my 1840s vintage house and the shutter construction was excellent, mortise and tenon joints with wooden pegs. I have been able to repair most of these shutters where parts were rotted using many of the old techniques. I have improved my skills as I progressed and I even built a new set of shutters to match the others from scratch! I did investigate replacements and was shocked at the cost! Good Luck, Don

donald_a_mclean@navsup.navy.mil
Don M

Postby Andy Buckler » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:16 pm

Thanks Rick and Don! Thank you for the notes! I went to the indicated web site, and they do have the larger louvers. I think that they are only inside shutters from that company, but in searching links from their site I think that I did find some external shutters with larger louvers, called "plantation" shutters? They seem to have larger louvers, though I would worry if there is some other odd style difference (my house is by no means a "plantation" house)! So maybe they work, and maybe they don't. I also note that all of these - anything I can find new - are all "flat" whereas mine have an additional piece of wood perpendicular to the frame that makes the shutters look different than without the piece. Mine look distinctly older, in that they are more "detailed" looking, even though they are obviously what would have been considered standard or plain at the time. So I'm still looking for shutters that look like they would truly have been used back 150 years or so. You got me closer, though!

As to repair of my existing, I have two problems. First, despite the fact that I have kept all the pieces, a number of them have lost too much wood to even consider repairing. But worse than that, a previous owner had replaced a number of them with the more contemporary replacements that look obviously different. I want to re-outfit the whole house with a matching set, returning all windows to the older, not the contemporary, style.

I suppose there is always salvage, but in shutter-hunts I've done in the past finding the right height/width/style combination is very difficult, and involves driving many miles and multiple trips...

Thank you, Andy Buckler

andrew_buckler@hsgmed.com
Andy Buckler

Postby Don M » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:39 am

Andy, Have you found the Timberlane Woodcrafters Web site? " http://www.timberlanewoodcrafters.com ", they make a beautiful and traditional shutter the old way. Their product is identical to the original 19th century shutters on my old house. Not inexpensive but you get what you pay for! I know what you mean about locating used shutters---I was lucky to find one pair which I was planning to make near here for $25.00. They were the correct length but about 1" too wide. I bought them anyway as an extra inch on either side of a second story window won't be noticable to anyone but me ;-) Good Luck, Don

donald_a_mclean@navsup.navy.mil
Don M

Postby Chris Brockmeyer » Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:06 pm

You may also want to check out vixenhill.com. Similar to Timberlane.

My winter project is to build all new shutters for our house. Previous owners had removed all the old shutters, slapped on aluminum siding and disposed of the shutters, putting those tacky metal faux shutters on the house. So, I have to start from scratch. I, too, was shocked at the prices and decided to give it a try myself. I can buy a decent shaper for the price of shutters for two windows!

Chris

chrisbrockmeyer@yahoo.com
Chris Brockmeyer

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum