dcsimg

Front Entry Restoration

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Front Entry Restoration

Postby Skuce on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Pics of this door rotisserie?
Drew Skuce
Paradigm Shift Customs - Heritage Building Restoration
44 Holme St. Suite #100 Brantford ON Canada N3T 4Z7
http://www.ParadigmShiftCustoms.com
Skuce

Postby jharkin on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Door rotisserie is not here yet. Some things came up and we had to postpone the door hanging until next week.

In the meantime, in spite of the beautiful weather making me want to go do something outside, I am working on the hall today. So far I have the radiator out, the floor masked and the bad paint around the sidelights and the jamb soaking in citri-strip.

I also took the closet door out to the garage, filled sanded and have one side primed. On these old interior doors the panels are only raised on one side - and I never noticed it before but the closet door was hung with the raised panels in. So Im going to flip the door...

Jeremy
jharkin

Postby Don M on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Am I missing something; I don't see any pictures?! :evil: Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby jharkin on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:23 pm

I get it. Pictures soon I promise.

The door delivery got delayed & I got too caught up in work to get much more done so far.

Soon... promise...
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Ask and ye shall receive :)

While waiting for the doors to get here I did more work stripping , scrapping, sanding and trying to clean up those sidelites. Its better than it was but needs some work yet. And some plaster work. It was a pain 'cause there were nails in various places and I found that the sidelite frames are pegged together just like the old doors.

Also got the closet door painted. In retrospect I'm not going to flip it. Having to recut the hinge mortises is a pain.

My "fiend" Bob who is hanging the doors and doing all the tricky work looked at the doors and has seen similar in other houses this age he has worked on. He thinks they are original to the house judging by the construction and wood.

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:47 pm

The doors are here!!

Yes there are 2. In addition to the front hall work we are also replacing the back door, winch is similarly rotten. The back door is an out-swing so we are replacing the whole unit with a prehung to make it an in-swing.

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:50 pm

First thing we got too was getting out that rotten sill and replacing it. The sill was toast but the original sub-floor underneath still looked good.

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Next we got the hinges mounted and fit the door. This part took (primarily Bob) a few hours of tweaking. The hing side of the jamb was slightly warped so he had to plane the door to match and tweak the hinges to get it swinging right with the perfect reveals and bevel. Interesting to watch a pro do this stuff... would have taken me a week to do what he did in a few hours. And I wouldnt have got it so perfect.

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Next we got the handleset installed and finished up the trimming. That simulated thumblatch is made by Acorn I think. What a royal pain!! If you follow the directions and use there drill template it WONT fit right. We ended up having to re-drill it a couple times and massage it in there.

If you get one of these beware. Once in it works nice but don't trust the drill template.

And more trouble.. We had to cut the door down almost an inch to fit, which didn't leave enough meat in the stile for the deadbolt to fit :( We decide to leave it off and go full historic and put 2 iron throw bolts on the inside. This door never gets used so we can live without being able to unlock it from the outside.

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Drumroll please....

Now for what you all really want to see. The door rotisserie!

There really isn't much to them. A couple homemade stands Bob made up, and you just drive a ledger lock into each end of the door then you can spin it. Just leave the door vertical as it dries so it wont sag.

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jharkin

PreviousNext

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum