dcsimg

Front Entry Restoration

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Front Entry Restoration

Postby melissakd on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:56 pm

jharkin wrote:The lighting in those photos is crap... You probably cant tell but the wall color is a pale blue.

I thought this was pretty mouthy until I realized it was still you talking :lol:

Pink, eh? Tee-hee! Nobody escapes the pink paint, unless he has mint-green paint.

We'll need the right name so we can give proper credit to Lefty McContractor, Father of the Door Rotisserie. :idea: Perhaps he'd like to pose for a portrait demonstrating his invention.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby jharkin on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:51 pm

I'll have to ask Bob if he minds me giving out his name on the forum... heck he might like some fee advertising...

Ok so speaking of Bob was here today and we put in about 12 hours today during a break in the rain.

The project of the day was the back door install. That turned into quite a job because the entrance is into a mudroom addition built over an old stone porch. The wall sheathing from the door 2 ft to the corner was rotten. the wall wasn't even secured down to the stones, plywood sheathing right down to a ledge where water was pooling, no flashing, little caulk...etc.. Bob ended up rebuilding that wall section, securing the framing down to the stones, squaring it up, new insulation, new sheathing, tar paper and flashing, new clapboards, new corner boards and trim.

Oh and we.. as in mostly Bob with some minor help from me... put in the door jamb too. ;)

In any case while he was doing that I got the front door hung permanently:

Still have to weatherstrip, do some paint touch up and finish the interior doors, but we are getting there... The outside needs work - re-glazing the sidelites and patch/repaint the door casing but that will probably wait until the spring.

-Jeremy
Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
jharkin

Postby Don M on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 am

Beautiful job on that door; much more appropriate than your old one! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby jharkin on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:46 pm

melissakd wrote:
We'll need the right name so we can give proper credit to Lefty McContractor, Father of the Door Rotisserie. :idea: Perhaps he'd like to pose for a portrait demonstrating his invention.

MelissaKD

Melissa-

I asked Bob about it. He says he got the idea from an old trade publication, maybe JLC, years ago. He didn't want to take any credit.

Let me know if you guys want to put it in reference and I'll snap some more photos of the jigs and jot down some measurements.

-Jeremy
jharkin

Postby melissakd on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Ah, but did they call it a ROTISSERIE ?!? That's what makes it cool. 8)

Folks, have we a consensus about entering the "Door Rotisserie a la Bob" ['a la' is French for 'well, maybe not, but this was how BOB made HIS'] into the Reference Forum?

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby jharkin on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:28 am

We are done. A little eye candy coming up for the photo freaks.

I got the weather stripping done. I was scratching my head for a while on how to use the spring bronze with the lock strips but found an old OHJ article that helped...

http://books.google.com/books?id=YEUS_- ... ip&f=false

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:29 am

The door...

Last edited by jharkin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jharkin

Postby jharkin on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:31 am

The restored hall and interior doors...

jharkin

Postby jharkin on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 am

The wood filler and refinishing hid the evidence of the old doorknobs well. On the first door I used wood scraps and plain filler but on the second I used Abatron Epoxy wood. I really like the Abatron :)

- Jeremy
jharkin

Postby Old Colonial on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Jeremy,

Would you mind posting a couple close-ups of this mantle? I would like to see the molding profiles of the top. I plan on making one this week and yours looks interesting if my planes can duplicate the profiles.

Since you are weather sealing around the front you may want to consider having storms window made for your side lights. Mine are full length and iced up terribly in the winter. I had a glass company make windows with a thin aluminum frame (similar to a screen frame), painted them to match the trim and put foam weather stripping on the back side. The are secured tight against the sidelight sash.They aren't really noticeable and I don't have an ice and condensation problem on the inside anymore.

Jeff
Old Colonial

PreviousNext

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum