First Post

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

sooth

Re: First Post

Post by sooth »

I can't wait to see the photos of the interior. That is a wonderful old house. The details (like the chimney, modillions, porch, etc) are awesome.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

lavender_bush

Post by lavender_bush »

Ahhh... the porch, the peak, the bell??? The possibilities 8)

I love it, I could take a wander back through this post and see who advised you to buy ladders but it's late and I'm lazy tonight - I would advise that one of your first purchases is staging.

Check online, if funds are tight? check craigslight/ebay/local newspapers but trust me it will be one of your favorite and (judging by the amount of peeling paint you'll have to deal with) your most used purchase. Mine is still my favorite birthday gift from my husband :)

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums - with pictures of course :D

FamlyFarm

Post by FamlyFarm »

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay on pictures work has been crazy and now I have another setback, I fell 20ft down a caged ladder from one catwalk to another on the grain dryer tower at work. (I work at a grain terminal) No broken bones fortunately but I am going to be layed up for a little while, maybe next week I can snap some quick ones. The house is half hour from my current place of residence
1883 Victorian Farm House built by my great-great-grandfather

Officially the OWNER!!

sooth

Post by sooth »

Ouch! I hope you get back on your feet soon. You were lucky to escape with minor injuries. 20 feet is quite the drop.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

melissakd

Post by melissakd »

Geez, Fam, glad you survived! Take your time on the pictures!

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt

ScottKatz

Post by ScottKatz »

Nice looking house. I'd find a company (or a two) that specializes in slate roof installation and repair to look yours over. A company that does slate won't be interested in selling you something else. You will then have an accurate assessment of the condition of your slate. You can go from there and write a check to repair or replace with slate with one of these companies, find someone to the job on the side for less, or replace if required.

Slate will last a good while, but after 100+ plus years even a slate roof may have reached the end of its life or cost more coin to fix then you can ever justify. Get an expert (not just a roofing contractor) in there to look it over. The world is not full of pros that do this. I've had mixed results trying to save a buck on specialty work. I'd call a slate roof a specialty job and spend the money there on a pro to do it if I had the money to spend. I had 200 yards of wool carpet that sold for 42/yd wholesale installed (a specialty job) by a crew that had never done wool and I cursed every time I tripped over a new wrinkle in the carpet or looked down and saw the not quite right pattern match on the seam. The unknowing could easily break more slate than they repair by getting up on that roof and you wind up worse off and poorer for the experience.

Maybe you'll luck out and find a retired slate roof pro who can work on the most needful parts of your roof as cash allows if that is a consideration. Also, the economy being what it is you may find a pro who will bid the job reasonably.

Great looking house. It will reward you for the effort. Work safe and good luck.

Scott

zollydog

Post by zollydog »

Wow, what a gorgeous house!
Proud owner of an ooooold house!

avjudge

Post by avjudge »

I know I'm late to this party, but just wanted to say, I don't believe the Mansard section will look right with anything but slate!!! (or a faux slate). There are lots of Mansards around Somerville & Cambridge so I get a chance to see them. I am so unhappy that my slates disappeared years ago. I replaced the thoroughly rotting wood shingles with a "slate-look" asphalt shingle, which I'm not thrilled with but is better than regular asphalt shingles. (If I had ridiculous amounts of money I'd redo it with slate or a faux slate - wish I'd ponied up & done that in the first place, but the job was expensive enough as it was.)

I just can't imagine metal looking right at all on a Mansard roof (though I haven't seen that one around town).

Anne
Anne
Image Image

FamlyFarm

Post by FamlyFarm »

hey all I posted some interior pics on the Picture Forum....
1883 Victorian Farm House built by my great-great-grandfather

Officially the OWNER!!

KathyJB

Post by KathyJB »

ACK! Where is the picture forum.........oh wait, I know. I'm very happy your weren't severely injured by your fall. Here's to a speedy recovery.