Rochester, NY

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

buckhorn710

Rochester, NY

Post by buckhorn710 »

Lots of beautiful period homes in Rochester, guys. Some of the regular posters are from around here, too. My brother and I bought this one a couple of years ago as a foreclosure for a ridiculous price and have been pecking away at its needs ever since. I rarely 'log in' here, but I did want to say that I have benefited from everyone's experiences and posts MANY times whilst working on projects and needing advice or ideas. People called this place The Castle for many years, and it's easy to see why. The previous owners have left up a website about the work they did with the place, though it seems odd that they would do that? It looks quite different inside and out at this point, but I suspect maybe a few of you had enough communication with the PO's to recognize the house. We retained original windows because of this site and were well prepared when it came time to installing a new boiler because of info on this site. Thanks again! I have two words for anyone who is doing a house like this or thinking about it. Bucklet Truck!
[http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... use038.jpg]

1880 Stick Victorian

Re: Rochester, NY

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

congratulations... we are about 30+ miles east of you..i have been watching that house for the last couple of years...the previous owners had a website on their restoration and then it stopped...last i heard it was for sale and a co worker supposedly looked at it and said the copper plumbing was taken out??!?!?!?!?! i hope you post more pictures...would like to see what you have done...looks like the exterior has been painted? are you living in it? what are your plans?
scott
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

Josiecat

Post by Josiecat »

What a grand house. Welcome and congratulations on your restorations. Can't wait to see more! :D
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas

oldhouseluvr

Post by oldhouseluvr »

You have a beautiful house! I copied the link and saved the picture. Here it is for other's to see.
Attachments
1890House038.jpg
1890House038.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 7526 times

buckhorn710

Post by buckhorn710 »

Yeah, the website is still out there but nothing ever gets changed on it, obviously. The house took a real downturn a few years ago when the PO's spent money on kitchen countertops and plaster work but did not address the leaky roof first. When their tarp wore out/blew off, the interior got hammered. Ceilings dropped, carpets and floors covered in ice all the way to the basement. It took several months for the buckled wood floors to lay back down after we fixed the roof. The copper was in fact stolen, and the boiler was a 300K BTU 1978 monstrosity of about 50% AFUE. When the bank took it over, they ordered the house boarded/locked. The people they hired to do it relieved the house of some of its nicer features like the parlor fireplace mantel (AND tiles) and some stained glass windows and got away with it. We had to replace mantles, ceilings, PEX all the missing plumbing (only cost about $400 and a few hours of our time) and start repainting. The main issues are the sheer size of everything. It just takes three times longer than average to even paint a room. I will try to post a few more pictures to show some of its other fun features. It has progressed to the point that we are about ready to sell our current home (ca. 1841 and lacking all its original features) so we can move over to Rochester and enjoy the results of a couple years' weekend efforts!

mattmanbass

Post by mattmanbass »

That house is absolutly beautiful, i love my house but that is the style of victorian i have always dreamed about. Its is stunning, im glad you guys came along and saved it, they do not make them like that anymore!

ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I'm here in Rochester (Irondequoit). Great house! I don't recall ever driving past that house, and I'm trying to imagine where a house like that would be around here...maybe East Avenue???

I'm also guessing that you've been over to Historic House Parts on South Avenue....great place to find parts!

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

I LOVE Historic Houseparts. It's the first time I've become acquainted with historic salvage. When I'm in New York, I make a pilgrimage.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

buckhorn710

Post by buckhorn710 »

To the guy in Irondequoit - cheer up! I am not on East Ave. The place is in a funky neighborhood a couple blocks south of the Maplewood Historic District. I have been called an Urban Pioneer... We got the house for 28K in a foreclosure. Over on East Ave, we'd be talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. The taxes would be unbelievable! I am like 5 minutes from anything you would want from restaurants to Home Depot and big malls and the lake. It's like stealing, but I do have a nice alarm system and about 400lbs of dogs on site to make me less attractive to the occasional copper pipe thief.

Nice house next door for sale right now used to be the carriage barn for my house 100 yrs ago and it is listed at 36K for 2000+sf.

When I am outside painting, the neighbors thank me. My place was probably the wet blanket on this area for 40+ YRS. Maybe our efforst will result in some progress. Sometimes I think how a bunch of cheapskates like me who are not bothered by the "not suburban" could transform an area into something amazing in short order, but it is not my mission - the house itself sorta picked us and we are along for the ride. It has a ghost DOG and 1/2 acre yard that is very rare in the city (the yard not the ghost).

My wife, who is from Russia, LOVES Edgerton area of the city. Her take is that people milling around in the street being drunk or whatever - just like home, except not everyone is white like in Russia. Interesting point. People are people. There are a lot of changes occurring. Immigrants from Nepal, Peru, etc. They are not gangsters, they are looking to start a new life. Maybe me too. There's a certain "great house/off the radar" aspect to the place.

I hear a lot of guff about Rochester and I don't get it. You could be losing your #$% in FLA or Las Vegas right now - here there is no noticeable "recession" because the city already took its hit a long time ago. Check out any restaurant around here. New cars and no tables free for lunch... But you can sure score some fantastic old houses around here for shocking low prices if you pick the right zip code.

ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Hmmm, you're not right on Lake Ave, are you? I drive up that way when I'm headed out to Greece after work, and now that I think of it, there are quite a few older houses out that way...