Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

K3RCA
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by K3RCA »

Love all the combined knowledge on the forum!

1895 home The exterior facing interior walls are being gutted for a major renovation.

and will be replaced with drywall. The rest of the interior walls I'd like to save if I can.


Most of them have a very soft feel..You can tell the plaster is no longer holding to the lath.

What is the BEST way to fix this?

Some of the walls have been fixed with a plaster compound
I swear is tougher than Ceramic and bright white!..have to get that out also.
for these large patches I'm guessing large pieces of drywall pieced in
and repaired in a normal patching way?

Thanks,
Brian

sooth
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:17 am
Location: Cornwall, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by sooth »

Why do you want to remove the repairs? I'm confused.

In some loose sections you can use special products made for plaster wall repairs, or even a few plaster washers (large thin discs that attach with screws).

I'm sure others will give more useful advice.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
Image

K3RCA
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by K3RCA »

The repairs stand out like someone stood back 20 feet and threw a glob of ?:"& on it!

The whole house interior was wallpapered from the walls, and including the ceiling!
Then they painted over that!..Whooo Hoooo...Hahaha What a HooT!
There was never any texture put into the plaster...It is so perfectly smooth
when I first saw it I thought it was drywall!

eperot
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:26 am
Location: Garden State

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by eperot »

There is a product I saw on "Ask This Old House" where you drill a certain size hole repeatedly all over the area where the plaster has broken away from the keys...then, there is a type of adhesive in a typical caulk tube that you insert the tip into each hole and squeeze a certain amount. Finally, there are plastic washers that you use with drywall screws to screw the loose plaster tight against the wall. Adhesive will press out the holes...wipe it off, and let the adhesive cure. Then remove the screws and washers and fill the small drill holes with plaster and you are back in business. The adhesive has squished around between the plaster and keys/lath enough to bond it as one unit again.

Eric
Jacob Beaty House - c.1874
Image

K3RCA
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by K3RCA »

eperot wrote:There is a product I saw on "Ask This Old House" where you drill a certain size hole repeatedly all over the area where the plaster has broken away from the keys...then, there is a type of adhesive in a typical caulk tube that you insert the tip into each hole and squeeze a certain amount. Finally, there are plastic washers that you use with drywall screws to screw the loose plaster tight against the wall. Adhesive will press out the holes...wipe it off, and let the adhesive cure. Then remove the screws and washers and fill the small drill holes with plaster and you are back in business. The adhesive has squished around between the plaster and keys/lath enough to bond it as one unit again.

Eric

Thanks again Eric...
That will be down the road a bit, but figured I'd start asking now. Had heard there was a compound that you could use to inject into the wall. Wasn't sure if anyone knew the name of it.

Brian

plastrr385
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Cranesville,Pa

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by plastrr385 »

Cut the sections out with a utilty knife and clean out the lath. Bond the lath and plaster with bonding agent. Your walls are probably lime there is a recipe for that on here. Gypsum based plster could probably be used since they are interior walls. Follow my past posts on repairing plaster and you shoould be fine...any questions just ask. Hope this helps

Sacto Diane
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:04 pm
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by Sacto Diane »

eperot wrote:There is a product I saw on "Ask This Old House" where you drill a certain size hole repeatedly all over the area where the plaster has broken away from the keys...
Eric
Big Wally's Plaster Magic
http://www.plastermagic.com/

Diane

Fanner
Posts: 487
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:18 pm
Location: WI

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by Fanner »

Hope you don't mind a bit of a post-hijack here; Have any of you tried the "Plaster magic"? It almost looks too good to be true ~ we have several bowed out areas that could benefit from a bit of attention before they crumble off the wall completely. And as you had Brian, we have wall to ceiling paper that has been painted over. Most of our plaster is in great shape, I think due in part to the paper holding it together all these years.
1904 Victorian :)
Image

Nettie
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:39 am
Location: West Central Minnesota

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by Nettie »

Fanner wrote:Hope you don't mind a bit of a post-hijack here; Have any of you tried the "Plaster magic"? It almost looks too good to be true ~ we have several bowed out areas that could benefit from a bit of attention before they crumble off the wall completely. And as you had Brian, we have wall to ceiling paper that has been painted over. Most of our plaster is in great shape, I think due in part to the paper holding it together all these years.
I almost tried it but it was too expensive and to me it looked like you could replicate it. We had a sagging ceiling to fix and so we followed the same procedure of drilling the holes and then we used a couple of tubes of construction adhesive and a caulk gun and squeezed it up into the holes. Finally followed up quickly with plaster washers and a skim coat. It's been a year since and the repair is still holding.
Image

Fanner
Posts: 487
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:18 pm
Location: WI

Re: Old lath and plaster walls Real soft feeling

Post by Fanner »

Nettie wrote:
I almost tried it but it was too expensive and to me it looked like you could replicate it. We had a sagging ceiling to fix and so we followed the same procedure of drilling the holes and then we used a couple of tubes of construction adhesive and a caulk gun and squeezed it up into the holes. Finally followed up quickly with plaster washers and a skim coat. It's been a year since and the repair is still holding.
Good to know, thanks for the feedback!!!
1904 Victorian :)
Image

Post Reply