dcsimg

found cistern under my kitchen

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

found cistern under my kitchen

Postby lupinfarm on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:06 pm

After months of agonizing about possible cistern location. I remembered that there is a hatch under one of my
base kitchen cupboards with a plumbing pipe running underneath, or so I thought. I took another look at it and descovered
that it has a threaded female coupling on one end and a heavy duty rubber hose going down on the other end, I thought
tht was odd so I looked down below with my flashlight and descovered the cistern right there. It is full of dirty silty water
and now the debate rages on what to do with the water. I think we should pump it out. The female coupling is obviously
to connect a hose to for pumping it out. There is a pump in the adjacent crawlspace but it blew up last spring spewing
water in the crawl space so we will have to buy a new one. Does anyone know how much pumps cost? I would like
to retire the cistern as we dont use it. Although at one time the kitchen sink and eavestrough drained into it.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Re: found cistern under my kitchen

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:05 am

If you can install a submersible pump and a hard line to the outside, you'll never have to worry about it. A suction pump (used from the topside) will probably need to be primed for each use.
Abandoned cisterns can turn into wells if you have a lot of groundwater. IOW, it may refill itself every spring, or after a torrential rain.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby Daniel Meyer on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Here's what I'd do LOL! :D

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 pm

ZOMG! That's a wild wine cellar. Bet the building inspector had a cow; no way that's code.
Slightly creepy in a Clarice Starling kind of way.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby lupinfarm on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Hey Daniel that is a kA wine cellar. Im really jealous. My expertise wouldnt extend to something like that, but when I have
drained my cistern and am absolutely sure it wont refill again I would like to turn it into useable space and I would
need to build a staircase to my " Under the kitchen kingdom" first. Oh the anticipation it is killing me!. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would get so into having a cistern. My house really is a journey into a forgotten kingdom. Oh and
I see that you note you are an adventurer, how so? Could you ad-venture over to my place and build me one of those under the kitchen wine cellars.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Postby Daniel Meyer on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 pm

lupinfarm wrote:Hey Daniel that is a kA wine cellar. Im really jealous. My expertise wouldnt extend to something like that, but when I have
drained my cistern and am absolutely sure it wont refill again I would like to turn it into useable space and I would
need to build a staircase to my " Under the kitchen kingdom" first. Oh the anticipation it is killing me!. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would get so into having a cistern. My house really is a journey into a forgotten kingdom. Oh and
I see that you note you are an adventurer, how so? Could you ad-venture over to my place and build me one of those under the kitchen wine cellars.

Well, I wish it was mine. Those were sent to me as a suggestion as to what to do with our own "Jimmy Hoffa Storage Tube".

Ours isn't under the kitchen...it will end up under the deck. Maybe I'll build a trap door...don't stand on the red "X" if you're over for BBQ :D
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Postby Igloochic on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:48 am

Holy cow Dan....we are turning ours into a wine cellar. Do you have any idea where that one is or who designed it???? We need a designer desperately and to decide if we enter from outside or if we tunnel in from the basement.
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

Postby Glazier on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:24 am

type in wine cellars on google images and it shows a few different types of those and where you can buy them,I just wouldn't want to start sampling wine from the bottom up though,it could be days before you reached the top stair,lol
I usually put off stuff today, so I have something to do tommorrow. 1915 Bungalow
http://photobucket.com/WayneShaw
Glazier

Postby Daniel Meyer on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:40 pm

I think you'd want to start from the middle...so that when after several samplings...and you found yourself unable to climb the stairs...you'd have...ur...nourishment...when you landed at the bottom.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Postby cs on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:13 am

Holy cow Dan....we are turning ours into a wine cellar. Do you have any idea where that one is or who designed it???? We need a designer desperately and to decide if we enter from outside or if we tunnel in from the basement.

Igloochic, It sounds to me that what you need first is an architect or engineer. Most of the places that you find doing wine cellar design are mostly doing shelving design. You will want that too, perhaps, but it sounds like first up is how to make the room functional (and safe to use) as a wine cellar.

Personally, for me, direct access from the house would be the way to go. That way, it's very easy to run down and grab a bottle anytime, without putting on boots and coats first.

Since your room is underground, there is probably no need for expensive cooling/ humidity control units (though the wine cellar design places will want to sell you one). Shelving can be very expensive too, but it's also easy to make yourself - I built out shelving for more then 450 bottles, with additional shelving for another 80 gallons in bulk-storage, mostly from scrap I had sitting around.

Lupinfarm, Daniel's wine-cellar-well example is very cool... but that must have been a fairly wide hole to begin with. You figure that at least one foot of space, all the way around, is consumed by the shelving, and judging from the photos, it looks like another 2 or 2.5 feet to the center point of the circle. That gives a total original diameter of something like 6 or 7'! I am assuming yours is not so wide, since you said that it is under a cabinet. But I have seen, somewhere (TV? internet?) a kitchen cistern that had been drained, lit up, and covered with plexi as an architectural feature, like Daniel's example but without the wine. It was also really cool!

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
Last edited by cs on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cs

Next

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum