Circa 1790 (1811) Cape. (Lots of pictures)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Circa 1790 Cape. (Lots of pictures)

Postby gregV on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Ooops..... was writing this when Jeremy replied already.
:oops:

Thanks for the complement J . ;-)
gregV

Postby James on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Well I would say save the plaster if you can. But I do know it's a chore to deal with. Took a class last August where we were repairing a plaster ceiling in Stonewall Manor, an 1830's plantation house. So I do know it's hard work. And a ceiling for your first exposure to plaster was maybe not the best way to go.
People have been removing plaster from old houses for years. This place has some plaster ghostmarks but the plaster and lath were all removed when the house was rolled across a field to get further away from the creek after a flood, back in the 1790's, according to the legend. And the wood plank walls clearly date to before cut nails. So even back in the 18th century they were looking for short cuts to save time and money, avoid dealing with plaster.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby gregV on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 am

Just some assorted pics from around the house.

Boxed in beams I did in the 'new' kitchen which once was the 1830ish ell. Driest winter I can remember for a while so wood shrinkage = gapes.

Some door suround details.

Some of the split lath that I have been living with way too long! :oops:

Cellar wall. You can see where the underground entrance was walled in. The tunnel toward the road has stone walls with granite slab roof. I found that the hard way. :oops:

The new south parlor floor system as seen from the cellar. I still have 2/3rds more to do.

The second owner, circa 1835, name was Alonzo Martin. I can only assume he painted this there. It's in the cellar in the center chimney foundation.

One of the several Mill Markings throughout the house. This is a vertical stud that I rotated the picture 90 degrees so you can see it better. It's in the stairway to the second floor and was always exposed. That's an "N G" at the beginning. The person who had the house built was Nathan Gennings. All mill marked boards in the house start with that.

The following are some shots of one of the only rooms that close to finished. It's one of two second floor rooms. The other one has it's own firebox. Besides the exposed beams everything in the room is brand new. Walls, ceiling, floors.

This is the north parlor, which I use as my bedroom. Still needs 80% restoration.

I'm having FUN taking these pictures and will do more. Please bear with me while I act like a little kid again! ;-)
Last edited by gregV on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregV

Postby Igloochic on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am

Wow was that a refreshing change from the subject property. Your home is my dream home :). Someday...I just adore the obvious work that went into every detail.....oh and that tall boy in the finished lol. Is that your work?

Your home in comparison to the sad subject reminds me of the difference of seeing Germany in disneylands around the world (or small world?) exhibit. It's cute, all set stuff is basically the same...timbers, white walls etc so you should feel like you've gone to Germany right? Well I did, until I really went to Germany and saw all the same stuff only it's texture was less plastic, less perfectly cut, the walls aren't straight, the doors and windows are off kilter....hundreds of years will do that to a structure, and the difference makes you realize it's obviously just Disneyland, and not the real thing. The subject home is now perfect for a Disney theme park....your home is the real thing.
The James House - 1889 "Modern" Queen Anne
Igloochic

Postby gregV on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks so much for the nice words. It is appreciated as I do in fact try my best to make all the work I do in the house convincingly authentic. It's a metal disorder I think. :lol:
Yes, all of the furniture is what I build, and I am the perfect example of the shoemaker with no shoes. If it's the black with decoration on it, that is as an exact copy of the original that is in a museum house in MA. William and Mary period.
gregV

Postby gregV on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 pm

This is the exposed (always until it was covered with sheet rock circa 1935) wall studs going up the stairway. Behind them is an original plaster closet wall. Stairs go up from left to right and are dog leg with a landing at the corner. In the south west corner of the house.

Really, one of my favorite things to touch is on this wall right at the corner where you turn left to continue up the steps. This The picture may not show it very well, but this is a natural grab spot for your left hand on the way up. It's been smoothed very soft, and worn from over 200 years of being 'grabbed' (more to the top of the pic)

This is the original pantry wall that was the modern bathroom when we moved in. Behind sheetrock and all sorts of nailers is where it still stood. Being it was an outside wall at the back of the house there was a window in that west wall. But when the Ell was built circa 1834, that window was boarded up. (Where that modern medicine cabinet is now). These walls were never painted as far as we can tell until the wing was added and the window boarded up. At that time, before it was painted they stuffed the spaces between the boards with newspaper (Circa 1835 paper).
You can also see the unpainted shadow lines of where the original shelving once was. I have also found the area where the stone sink was, I believe, This will be one of my favorite rooms to restore!!!

Some exterior wall details
These are the clapboards on the original section of the house. Cut quite short to span over approximately 4 studs. All joints are beveled as original (though originals had more overlap at that beveled joint). All hand forged nails were used on this part of the house. Pegged mortise and tenon plank frame windows with hand made sash with wavy glass. Time to paint!
This siding has been up for about 9 years.

This is the siding on the Ell. It would have been later so I used machine cut nails witch were used in the early 1830s. Mutton's on the window sashes are narrower.

DANG WOODPECKERS!!!! On my corner boards. I WILL shoot them ya know! ;-)
gregV

Re: Circa 1790 (1811) Cape. (Lots of pictures)

Postby jharkin on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 am

1811?????

Inquiring minds want to know.
jharkin

Postby cfisher057 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:03 am

I am rather curious myself "J". He'll probably wait until Wednesday to fill us in just to keep us in suspense!

--Chris
cfisher057

Postby gregV on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 am

It's a stupid and wierd therory, :roll: but I will try and explane in a while. ;-)
gregV

Postby Don M on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Beautiful Cape; my SIL has one that looks very similar in Pepperill, MA & is of course designed the same, small front entry, left & right parlors & a kitchen keeping room in the back. Hers has also had additions. My In-laws home was once also a Cape of similar design but it was raised & a first floor constructed under what was the first floor. So it's now a 2 story colonial with two large wings attached---18 room farm house in Groton, MA! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

PreviousNext

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum