Circa 1790 (1811) Cape. (Lots of pictures)

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Circa 1790 (1811) Cape. (Lots of pictures)

Postby gregV on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Yes Jeff, that's it. Floor was his wife's idea though. he felt it original enough to incorporate it.

gregV

Postby James on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:31 am

18th century colors can be a bit much for some folks modern tastes. They sure are NOT the HGTV mantra of neutral neutral neutral. There is a fantastic green used in Gunston Hall and Mt. Vernon both that I want to find some way to use here. My front and back doors are close to that with a really bright green that the cleaning lady refers to as John Deere green.
Problem here is that so much of the interior can't be painted. All of the unpainted walls are included in the covenants, tho I am permitted to wall paper them since they were at some point papered, tho not sure how early that was. But no trace of the original paper left.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby Old Colonial on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 pm

James,

Funny you mention John Deere green. We have a room we still call the John Deere room. It was the PO's boy's room. The room was painted John Deere yellow and green with a John Deere tractor border in place of a chair rail. See how I am a bit more traditional, that was the first room I painted.

Greg,

Do you know Dunbar? I met him once several years ago. I really enjoyed the restoration articles he wrote for Early American Life back in the 80's or 90's. He always documented replacement behind a replacement part and reproduction behind a reproduction part. Great help for those who come along in years to come.

Jeff
Old Colonial

Postby gregV on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Jeff, No, we never have met. I would be honored to do so someday.

Here are a few pics of how I painted what was once my mom's 1751 2 story. Cool house. Was hard for me as she would not let me go the full ten yards on restoration. :|

gregV

Postby Old Colonial on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:44 am

Greg,

I have learned to appreciate the intensity of some of the period colors like the blue in the living room, green at Mount Vernon. etc. I've seen colonial exteriors in pumpkin and salmon colors that are really striking and look great. I just haven't come to terms with using them for myself. I prefer subdued.

Your mom's house was amazing. Was all the paneling all original or did you have to replace some? Was that a marble top on the tea table?

The house sits well and looks solid as a rock.

Jeff
Old Colonial

Postby gregV on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Jeff, you drove past that house the other day. ;-)
The interior paneled walls are original to the house, but for the keeping room. Interesting house.
The keeping room paneling was missing. In time we found the two floor to ceiling side panel sections in the barn loft, but they were two destroyed to use. So I built them new and improvised from what evidence I could find and built the top paneled section to tie in the two sides.
The paneled wall in the green room is a full paneled wall on both sides. The other side of the wall is in the large front hall stairway and much of it was not ever painted as it's behind the stair case. That wall goes from cellar chimney girt to 1st floor chimney girt, then an identical wall goes from that 1st floor chimney girt to2nd floor chimney girt.

Pictures below show the green parlor chamber (bedroom above that parlor) and you can see that second floor paneled wall. The next picture is from the second floor looking at the back side of that bedroom wall.

The next picture is the backside of the yellow parlor wall in the front hall stairway. (towards the right) That again is a full paneled wall from cellar chimney girt to 1st floor chimney girt.

Which table are you asking about? Tea table? You can find that on this page if it is.

http://rcsail.tripod.com/furn_photo_available2.html
gregV

Postby Old Colonial on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Greg,

What a house :!: Good thing This Old House never got their hands on it. It's amazing how the period details have survived.

Great work on the repro tea table. I thought it was an antique when I saw it in the living room.

I need to get off this computer and out to the shop. I have a piece of tiger maple waiting to become a picture frame.

Jeff
Old Colonial

Postby lupinfarm on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:35 am

Love those intense colors Greg. Enough of the boring go to the bold. I love green and the buttery yellow is yummy. When we
moved into our little house I walpapered the upstairs hall in a really bold peacock paper. I love it, but my best friend of
years called it " her grandmothers paper". I have to agree to differ and just let it go. She is really part of the HGTV generation.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (38.39 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.
lupinfarm

Previous

Return to Pre-1900 Houses Forum