Well here are a couple of updates on the floor project. I also started another thread here to see if we can identify the flooring type: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30032
Yesterday, Nikki and I started the painstaking process of scraping all the "mud" out of the grooves between the boards. I say "mud" because it seems to be old dirt/dust/fibres which got stuck there and over time, turned into cement. It comes out using a flat screw driver that I filed down to make slightly dull and a dental pick. Very minimal, if any, damage seems to occur to the wood - it's just a slow process. Talk about dusty and kinda gross though - that stuff has been trapped under sub-floor since 1955 and may very well be 100+ years old!
Here's a before picture of some of the grooves:
An area we got done scraping:
Here are the pics of what the flooring looks like after a quick couple of sanding passes. The board in the third pic is some salvaged wood I bought thinking I'd use it to patch the bad places, but it turned out to be a totally different type of lumber.
One Friday night last month I got really sick of looking at those stupid faux beams in the living room, so I ripped them all down. They were affixed with construction adhesive so some of the ceiling texture came with them, but it's ok because it was already missing in several other areas. I slapped some primer over the freshly exposed areas for now - the entire ceiling will be painted when I do the rest of them. Next step in here is to vanquish that wagon-wheel chandelier.
And here's a couple shots of the foyer/staircase I've been working on. I think I need one more coat, as the red paint is still thin in some places. Talk about tedious - I started off doing this by hand with a 4" brush but quickly got tired of that and switched back to a roller for the large wall surfaces. Those tight corners and the areas above the doors are too small for the roller though, so I still get to do them by hand. I took a gamble with the red, but we LOVE it and our guests always complement it. It's the "historic" colour because according to our PO, it was red from when they moved in until the late 1990s when she painted over it with KILZ green.