help help help I need help in the kitchen what colors

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

1834cobblestone

help help help I need help in the kitchen what colors

Post by 1834cobblestone »

Its a mess. I have the 1950's knotty pipe thing going on. The house is a 1834 cobblestone, a simple farm house. I would like to paint and looking for a little help with colors to use. I have plans to move the kitchen back to the room it was in yr's ago. That room is now one of the living rooms. But that is not going to happen soon. I'm a single dad of a 8 yr little girl and I'm waiting for the help the get older. She wants to help me all the time. Here are some pics. There is a countertop and cabinet that are not shown. I was thing of making new doors with a flat panel and using the old hardware. I also want to lower the counter at the back of the sink. Make that into a sitting bar and getting the table out of there.
Attachments
old fam photos 017.jpg
old fam photos 017.jpg (823.43 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
simple farm house
simple farm house
old fam photos 015.jpg (820.11 KiB) Viewed 3153 times

painterlapin

Re: help help help I need help in the kitchen what colors

Post by painterlapin »

Hi. It looks by the pictures, the wood is almost too pretty to cover with paint. But if you just had to white or off white might feel bright sunny and not as limiting.

Maybe you could make your helper mini kitchen cabinets out of cardboard, she can paint her own cupboard doors her favorite color or colors. Maybe you could use her ideas as a springboard or special inspiration for yours.

gregV

Post by gregV »

Always a hard call on a question like this as I don't know what your personal taste is like. If you think of yourself as more of a purist, one that likes to make things look like they belong in the house of your period, then I have ideas. I'm not saying that it should look like it was original, as there were no kitchens as we know of them today, but a look with the style and paint that makes one wonder how much of it was old.

I have to disagree with the above poster as I think natural knotty pine like what you have is UGGG! and to paint it white would be another UGG. I'm also not a fan of the flat paneled doors that you are think as far as THIS case goes. I do agree that the flat panel doors are the nicest style out there and is most likely what I will use in my kitchen addition, but I'm not sure that is what you are after?
Anyway, have any pictures of ones you have seen that turn you on? Any more input that we can help advise you with?

Bellow are your re-sized pics and one of a cage bar I did that somehow reminds me of your situation. Maybe just an idea of a "real" color other then white.

[img]http://ghmyc_1m.tripod.com/housematch2.jpg[/img][img]http://ghmyc_1m.tripod.com/housematch1.jpg[/img]
pictures taken 1935 and 2003
My Circa 1800 Cape Thread

http://www.gvasileff.com

cadrad

Post by cadrad »

stainless steel paint like that under discussion in the general topics section! :D :D :D . seriously, I like the worn look of the bar shown. You could use any of the colonial colors I would tink, whatever looks the best with your decor... what about base cabinets black and uppers mustard? I guess if it were me I would try just painting what is there and seeing how it looked before going through the trouble of making new..

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

I like pale pale green in farmhouse interiors. Hate that knotty pine. I had an office with that paneling, and I promptly painted it. It was either paint, or embrace the fact that my office looked like a hunting lodge, but since I didn't want to decorate with dead dear heads, paint was the better solution. If you do paint, you may have to fill the wood around the knots.

If you do paint, pick your paint with care, and if possible, remove the cabinet doors for painting. Cabinets get a *lot* of wear and tear, and are right "in your face." If you skip on decent prep, you'll see your bad work, every single time you open a cabinet door!

What's going in on the ceiling? What is that? Drop ceiling?

catya

Post by catya »

Another vote here for a faded, old fashioned green. (And take out that dropped ceiling thing.)

Be sure to come back and show us the "after" pics, OK :)

1834cobblestone

Post by 1834cobblestone »

ok its not a drop ceiling. its tin, i know why white. well it is and its going to stay that way. I like the green and the dinning room is a green. but rtie now its set up as my shop, lots of things going on here. Im just looking to hold thing over for 2 or 3 yr. i want to put the kinchen in the room it was in 70 yrs ago and in 1834. i can and will build it all my self. grrrrr well i think i know what i want to do. hope you like it. give me 2 or 3 weeks and i will put up so pics.

melissakd

Post by melissakd »

I like the tin ceiling.

What makes it hard to look at, for me, is the juxtapostion of the rustic knotty pine rusticity and the rather refined wallpaper. Whichever part you decide to paint, you have my blessing, and I look forward to the promised "After" pictures.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt

KirstenN

Post by KirstenN »

Hi 1834cobblestone!

I actually clicked on this board by mistake (heading for post-1900), but I'm struck by how it looks like my cabinets might have been made by the same 'crafts'person who made yours! Check this out - even the hinges and handles are the same!
farmhouse kitchen small.jpg
farmhouse kitchen small.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
I was also going to post about colours to paint my kitchen cabinets to get some years out of them before gutting, also because they're solid and it seems a shame to dumpster perfectly good cabinets that I just hate the sight of.

I was thinking of a couple shades of blue, but I like the green suggestion. What does anybody think about these three colours, for base cabinets (the darker), upper cabinets (the lighter), and walls (the off-white)?
paint ideas.jpg
paint ideas.jpg (3.26 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
From left to right it's Farrow and Ball's Breakfast Room Green, Cooking Apple Green and Off-White.

Kirsten
Image Image Image
Our 1914 brick Toronto house; Our 1913 concrete island house; and the house I dream of owning, my husband's family's 1880-ish Toronto foursquare.

gregV

Post by gregV »

:roll:
[img]http://ghmyc_1m.tripod.com/housematch2.jpg[/img][img]http://ghmyc_1m.tripod.com/housematch1.jpg[/img]
pictures taken 1935 and 2003
My Circa 1800 Cape Thread

http://www.gvasileff.com