Another Loss...

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jwesevich

Another Loss...

Post by jwesevich »

They were willing to sell it for $1 to anyone who would move it...

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles ... 324346.txt
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"

triguy128

Re: Another Loss...

Post by triguy128 »

Sounds like the deal was ready to go...but the lawyers invovled got cold feet in terms of some liability issues. I suppose I cna understand the concern, but I see their actual risk being minimal. The owners that were going to demolish it were actually going to put up the $186k to move it... that they would have spent to demolish it.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows

lavender_bush

Post by lavender_bush »

Oh no!

A dollar? :shock: Our PO paid 3 figures to buy the Purple House and then paid to have her moved to her new location - I suppose that could explain why he was facing Chapter 13 and is now in pre-foreclosure.

It's a beautiful house but finding someone who can afford the land, relocation and renovation is going to be a hard sell here in MA

BTW - we're off jct 16 of 495 in Franklin.

jwesevich

Post by jwesevich »

Franklin's very pretty...we looked at a couple places there.

Yeah, this thing with the Tappan place has been going on for like two years now, I think. The fact that the hospital is willing to bulldoze the place is really emblematic of the town's fall from being the jewelry capital of the world. :( I dunno, maybe it will serve as a wakeup call..

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yes the 333 year old Historic Groton Inn in Groton, MA sustained a devestating fire that destroyed 70% of the building in August. Most of he front facade can probably be saved which is also the oldest part of the building. Unfortunately the owner doesn't want to work with the town to save it & the cost would be prohibitive in any case. :cry:
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

jwesevich

Post by jwesevich »

Yeah Don, I saw that on the news... :( I didn't realize they weren't going to restore though.
Emma F. Brown House 1897

Don M

Post by Don M »

The owner is 81 years old & claims the town never supported him so he's not inclined to work with the town. He wants to start a seafood restaurant in the undamaged function hall but the town says he has to apply for all new permits & licences even though he had those in place for the entire Inn prior to the fire; seems like tit for tat. You can read Inn visitors ratings on another site for the Inn restaurant & rooms; they are not very good! http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-old-groton-inn-groton

You can read a "Groton Inn Rememberance" http://www.thegrotonline.com/ written by the previous owner of the Inn. She & her family were apparently victemized by various people including former town officials & lost the Inn in the 1970s. It's quite a story.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

The Sun Chronicle wrote:Late last year, the hospital took out a demolition permit and planned to raze the structure to make way for more parking or an addition. Sturdy officials said it would cost more than $1 million to bring it up to code to continue to use it as an office building.
Too f*cking bad. They should be forced to pay the $1 mil. You shouldn't be ALLOWED to own a property that you are capable of taking care of and not take care of it.

Where the hell are our priorities? That article reads like the hospital is one of the good guys! They're a bunch of scumbags who want more parking. Well screw them. Someone go throw eggs at their cars.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

KristenS wrote:
The Sun Chronicle wrote:Late last year, the hospital took out a demolition permit and planned to raze the structure to make way for more parking or an addition. Sturdy officials said it would cost more than $1 million to bring it up to code to continue to use it as an office building.
Too f*cking bad. They should be forced to pay the $1 mil. You shouldn't be ALLOWED to own a property that you are capable of taking care of and not take care of it.

Where the hell are our priorities? That article reads like the hospital is one of the good guys! They're a bunch of scumbags who want more parking. Well screw them. Someone go throw eggs at their cars.

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel.............. :mrgreen:

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

Yeah...sorry peoples. I'm having some trouble filtering my comments lately. I'm very frustrated with some things going on in my own community. And when I hear/see things here that remind me of it, I just can't reign in my fingers.

Feeling helpless almost always manifests itself as Kristen-has-a-big-mouth-today. So the louder I'm shouting, the more helpless I'm probably feeling.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!