More in progress pictures

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jade mortimer

Re: More in progress pictures

Post by jade mortimer »

gothic...
all old homes deserve people like you and your wife...some people just don't have the ability to envision what a lot of elbow grease and determination will present--you have the photos! keep up the good work...you are excellent stewards...
.....jade

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Fanner, so far all I've found is the traditional round bars for weights.

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Well folks, got more done over the summer.

4 more windows restored and once again fully operational.

Front door before

Front door after

In the near future I'll locate and install a period eastlake door set in it's original position about 6 inches lower that he current 1964 set.

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

Awesome job with those windows and doors! You have an amazing house.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

So beautiful - well done! Really, what a treasure - keep up the good work (and the pictures :D )
1904 Victorian :)

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Once again, Fanner thanks for the nice words. I'm finding it fun and relaxing to do the work on the home. As long as I don't put a schedule or a time line on the various projects it does not become work.

Blueporch

Post by Blueporch »

Wow, it looks great!

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Again, I seem to be saying the same thing but I love your house and you work is just wonderful. Let me ask, the colors for the windows and front door are they the original colors? They look so good together. Keep the photos coming, you have a real treasure.

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Alexander, yes on the windows and no on the door. The windows and the eaves were originally that colour,and the door and the door suround was stained. I used the SW paint restoration site to match the colours. My plan is to paint the eaves the same as the windows, that was the original paint scheme. SW calls it rock wood red and use the rockwood dark Green (the door colour)for the brick mold. When I get to replacing the king and queen posts and the verge boards my plan is to deviate and go to the the Downing slate for that. If I decide to go with a forth colour it will be the Downing straw that the SW swatch suggests to pick out the details.

If you have a good eye you might just find a piece of the original paint on this little test sample and a hint of it left on the eave.

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Well it's been a while since I last posted update pics so here is my progress on the bed room at the start of the topic.
Here is a close up of the staining, the stain I used was Minwax form the local HD. The red is Sedona red right out of the can. It took three coats to get the shading close to original. The dark chocolate is a 50/50 mix of dark chestnut and ebony. The colour I's not a dense as the original stain but we are happy with it. It's not as dark as the original

This image is of the closet door you saw further back of this thread (standing on the step)

And the bed room door. There still needs to be a honey coloured stain to the rest but we just can't seem to find a stain that will match the original colour. You can see the test stain on the base board behind the board.