More in progress pictures

Questions and answers relating to houses built in the 1800s and before.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

GothicHome

More in progress pictures

Post by GothicHome »

My last post was paint stripping in the front hall. These are from a bed room currently under paint removal.

This is the wood work in the bed room. The stain follows the pattern from the front hall.

Original wall paper trim at the roof line.

Original wall paper. Only four lays of wall paper it actually came off pretty easy. All layers came off together in most places.

This is the same bed room after all the paper was removed. Notice the plaster patch were a small room heater was removed. Also, notice the brownish paint on the roof. Not sure if it was the original finish or used to his flaws in the original roof paper which was about the same colour.

KathyJB

Re: More in progress pictures

Post by KathyJB »

That is some big chunky trim :D I love the door too. It's a lot of work but so well worth it. Can't wait to see the end results.

Josiecat

Post by Josiecat »

Wow, I love that old wallpaper.
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

You have some great looking woodwork! And your plaster walls seem to be in awesome condition as well. Do you have an album somewhere with pics of the rest of the house?
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

More in progress images

This is some details of the window frame (1 of 54). This what we call the yellow room. Only one coat of paint as far as I can see in 140 years. The green stain you see must be some sort of preservative used whe the house was built it has real soaked into the wood. If it is, it has worked great I have no rot in any of the window frames. Also notice how tight the cover for the window pocket is, on some of the windows it it so tight you can not find the seam. Got to love that old world craftsmanship.

Window pocket removed. The bottom of the pocket cover is V'd to fit into the wedge of the window frame and is secured at the top with a screw old style tapered slotted of course.

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Same arrangement on my kitchen windows.

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Your house gets better and better. The detail is fantastic. I also love the wallpaper fragment, a spray of flowers and feathers or ferns not sure which but it is so what I think of for that period. I love your house period.

Alexander

GothicHome

Post by GothicHome »

Alexander, thanks for the nice words. The wife and I fell in love with the house on first viewing. We had it bought before we left the house on the first viewing. We looked at a lot of century homes but none had the authentic wow factor this home had. A lot of homes we looked at were well done but most were gut and dry wall jobs. That was not what we were looking for.

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Your place is breath taking in all the detail, I love all the over the top Victorian. I am glad the house found someone that will love it. You must just be so excited every time something comes to completion. The ride is half of the fun.

Enjoy.......Alexander

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

Wow! I so humbly bow down to you folks who so painstakingly strip paint from the trim in your homes :shock: Thankfully the only painted surfaces in my house are the window sash - not the trim or aprons etc - just the sash. And I am HATING stripping just that minimal surface area.
I am totaly fascinated by the weight pocket doors, too! Ours are similar, but the screw is at the bottom angle. It is a fun adventure for me every time I pop one open - my most recent window has 2 super heavy square weights attached... and there is nothing like the smooth action of the sashes once they are all put back together with new rope etc...

Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring pictures - such lovely details in your beautiful home :mrgreen:
1904 Victorian :)